1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Lisa79, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

pomunder,

That the majority of teachers are anti-VIT tells me that they do not understand what being a member of a profession is all about. I have given a reference above to a lengthy discussion of the VIT, so I won?t repeat everything here. I think doctors understand the function of the Medical Practioners Board, which does not include promoting the medical profession. I think dentists understand the function of the Dental Board, which does not include promoting the profession. The problem with the VIT is the false expectation that it would promote the profession, an issue I have discussed in the reference I gave earlier. That is not its role, but an addition made by someone in a backroom about nine years ago, an addition which I have asked in my submission to the review to be removed. The only way in which it promotes the profession is indirect: it guarantees the ethics and professional standards of those in it. This is, I think, clear to all other professions with registration authorities. If teachers are unhappy with the VIT, they can participate in elections for its council, something that most do not even bother to do and something that doctors and dentists do not even have the right to do in their equivalents. If teachers want to promote their profession, they can support union action, which most of them also do not do.

The establishment of the VIT was an important step in reprofessionalising teaching. You would think with the higher teaching loads, abolition of the time allowance pool, fuzzy limits on class sizes and long-term decline in pay, teachers would focus their criticism on the government, not the authority which protects the standards of their profession.

2. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Chris
    What you say rather proves my point; they do have promoting role, otherwise you wouldn't be campaigning to get rid of it.

3. Hi

weesp, can I ask what visa you got please? or anyone else. Is it best to get a working holiday visa for a yr, get ther and supply and hope to get a job or to get a skilled visa (I know this takes a long time and is expensive)

Thanks

4. In general if you're planning on staying it's best to get a skilled visa straight off (if you qualify) as most schools will be more willing to employ people with permanent status.

5. Hi there,
    I've just started looking into the fact of moving to Aus and coming to work over there. I want to settle in Brisbane and have already got the paperwork/application forms from the Queensland Education Department to register as a teacher...
    HOWEVER I've been reading the forums and I'm getting really concerned about this Teaching Australia 'business'. It sounds like they are very difficult to please and before I spent too much money I would like to get some idea of whether I stand any chance?
    I've got a 3 year Bachelors Degree and a 1 year Education Diploma from a University in South Africa...I moved to the UK 11 years ago and had to go thru the process of applying for GTP/QTS and eventually got that registered as well, and finally got myself a British Citizenship on merits of natrulisation...
    Will all of this satisfy the Teaching Australia Department? Do I need to register with them and the QLD department?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just getting confused about all of this and just wish it was straight forward :-0

6. Hi
    My friend is a UK trained Primary teacher and he moved out to Queensland with his Australian wife last year and is now teaching here. He had a 3 year Bachelors and a 1 year Post Grad Dip in Education, both degrees from the UK. The Queensland College of Teachers accepted this so on that basis I would say yours should be fine. Be aware that the process takes ages...in my friend's case almost 5 months. You don't mention whether or not you have permission to work in Australia but this is something you should sort out first of all if you haven't already.
    My friend did not have anything to do with Teaching Australia so I wouldn't worry about it. Sort out your permission to work here, get your paperwork into the Queensland College of Teachers as soon as possible and then sit back and wait until your registration is confirmed. Once you have this you should also get in touch with the Department of Education office in the region you wish to work in as they will get you to fill in forms about the kind of work you are looking for (relief teaching, contract, perm etc) and will also get you to outline the geographical areas of the region you are prepared to work in. This can take a further fortnight or so to sort out (well it did in my friend's case anyway) Good luck!

7. If you are interested in Melbourne / Victoria area, check out the Victorian Institute of Teaching [VIT] regulations at
    http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1
    UK qualifications are generally accepted - they look for a parallel course content. I had to get a Transcript of my modules from Univ of Keele where I did BA Joint Hons French German and ditto for my PGCE from London Uni. It was all cool tho.
    Visas - yes a nightmare and costly. Decide how long you want to stay and go from there. Renewing from in the country can sometimes be VERY hard and Dept of Immigration & Citizenship can sometimes require you to leave Oz to renew visas. Check out:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/
    Good luck!

8. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Further to my posts on pages 2 and 5, the Australian government has decided to abolish Teaching Australia:

?TEACHERS will be accredited against a national set of standards setting out quality and excellence in the profession under a plan to be considered today by education ministers.
    At a meeting of education ministers in Brisbane, Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard will propose a National Teachers Institute to set standards and accredit teachers, and be responsible for high-quality professional development?.
    ?The proposal to be considered today by the Ministerial Council on Education, Early Childhood Development and Youth Affairs will replace Teaching Australia, established by Howard government education minister Brendan Nelson with similar aims.
    ?Teaching Australia was widely criticised in the education sector for failing to include representatives of the unions and the state and territory governments, which registered teachers and were developing their own accreditation systems. Teaching Australia was regarded as irrelevant for being imposed on top of existing state arrangements and not engaging with the states?.
    ?The proposed National Teachers Institute would have a board appointed by the commonwealth based on the advice of the ministerial council. An independent chair and deputy chair would be nominated by Canberra. Other members would include representatives from each state and territory government.

(Justine Ferrari, ?Dispute on teacher standards body?, The Australian, September 28, 2009
    http://wl.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26133744-2702,00.html)

//////////////////////////////////
    The ministerial communiqué gives it a different name and does not mention anything regarding the assessment of international qualifications or the abolition of Teaching Australia:

?Ministers today agreed to the establishment of the Australian Institute for Teaching
    and School Leadership (AITSL) to provide national leadership for the Commonwealth, state and territory governments in promoting excellence in the profession of teaching and school leadership.
    ?It will take responsibility for rigorous national standards and for fostering and driving
    high quality professional development for teachers and school leaders, working
    collaboratively across jurisdictions and engaging with key professional bodies.
    ?The roles of the new Institute will be to:
    o develop and oversee a set of national standards for teaching and school
    leadership and implement an agreed system of national accreditation of
    teachers based on these standards; and
    o promote excellence and national leadership in the professional
    development of teachers and school leaders.?
    (http://www.deewr.gov.au/Ministers/Gillard/Media/Releases/Pages/Article_090929_080506.aspx)

9. Hi,
    Sorry I'm not sure but I'm looking into doing the same,moving to Oz for a year but not sure how easy I will find it to get a job, especially as I'm just about to complete my NQT year,so will be lacking experience compared to lots of people

Good luck with yours and would love some advice too! x

10. Hi There,
    im just looking in oz myself at the moment, so decided to look through the forum archives and found your post. Just wondered if you had found much out about going to Oz. im looking into it at htemoment but its difficult to know where to start!

looking to go to either melbourne or canberra!
    any advice would be great!!?

11. Just want to say that I started the ball rolling in Oct 08 for a visa yes 08 and am still waiting for it to be processed!!!! We paid for an immigration consultant and have paid for the skills assessment, visa etc and so far have shelled out approx four grand - a lot of money with NO results as of yet - I am very disappointed!! I still could be waiting another 2 years (in which time I will be using a zimmer frame) so be prepared for a VERY LONG WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. shyam2804

shyam2804 New commenter

I have a PGCEI, which is basically the same as a regular a PGCE course but the* 12 week teaching practice was not done in UK, hence was not given QTS.

I'm considering migrating to Australia and was wondering whether, PGCEI is recognised by AITSL? even though it doesn't have QTS status, its contend is the same and has more than 45 days of supervised teaching.

Jamal48 likes this.