1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia without completing Induction

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by K2500, Jan 18, 2011.

  1. I am going travelling for a year in August this year and due to unforeseen circumstances i will not be able to complete my NQT year before going travelling. By August i will have completed 2.5 terms. I will be in Australia for 12 months and was planning on teaching in Australia. Does anyone know if you have to have completed your induction in order to teach there?
  2. British qualified status means zip here (Australia). Hey, my VIT registration means zip in Brittan so fair is fair. Depending on your qualifications you maybe elligible to join an Australian teacher registration board, each state and territory has one (except the ACT). To work in a state you must be registration board with it's teacher You will then be a probationer and paid at the approriate pay scale for your experience. I recommend you complete your NQT before coming over. You only have a set time period in which to gain your NQT. Remember the school year in Australia starts in early Febuary. Which state are you hoping to work in?
  3. Hi Phie, thank you for your response. I have a PGCE, completed in June 2010. From what i have heard it is recognised in Australia as it is a university qualification. I am currently working in a Secondary School in England, but i am currently off work for 6/7 weeks because of a broken ankle, this takes me over the allowed time off during my NQT year, so i will just fall short of completing my NQT year and becoming 'fully qualified'. There is no limit in the UK to completing an NQT now, so i will have to complete it when i return from travelling as the flights are all booked and paid for for both myself and my partner.
    I was hoping to do some supply work when travelling around Australia to see if i would like to teach in Australia in the future and to gain a better understanding of the education system there. I've just had a look at the Australian Teacher Registration Board's website and i can see that there are several fees attached to registering in each territory. Is supply work common in Australia? Do they have Educational Recruitment Agencies in Australia or do most schools recruit themselves?
    Thanks for your help!
  4. I'm not sure about PGCE we don't have that qualification over here. So long as you have a bachelor degree and at least 50 days of teaching practice in your PGCE you should be ok. But it will depend on the state you are looking at. In Australia, you will not be considered fully qualified either, you will be a probationer or whatever the teaching board you register with calls it. Which was my point about being qualified.
    Please be careful not to generalise ie "in Australia" each state is different. Each state is responsible for it's own education system and each one is quite different. I'm trying to give you generalised infomation but it is difficult. My information could be completely wrong depending on which state you want to work in.
    It would be very difficult to travel and do supply teaching. We don't really have supply agencies. I think there may be a few but they aren't really well thought of. What normally happens is for work in governmet schools you apply to the Deparment of Education for casual work. They check your quals, references etc and interview you. They then give you an identification and you go to the schools you wish to work in and give them your cv and availbility. You will still need to register with the teaching board in that state. Independant schools you apply to them directly for casual work. Basically, you need to build a relationship with school to get work from them. New South Wales may be your best bet as it is large and densly populated (relatively) Tasmania may be difficult as it is a very insular community.
    Hope this is helpful in some way.

  5. Thank you for your help Phie, it is really appreciated. It does seem that teaching whilst travelling will be difficult and costly. If my partner and I do spend a few months in one place then i will look into teaching there. Thanks again for your help!

Share This Page