1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

TEACHING IN AUSTRALIA - what am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by guissepp, Jan 9, 2011.

  1. guissepp

    guissepp New commenter

    I am looking to do some research on teaching in Oz next year, but I cant seem to find any threads that could give me some advice?
    In the jobs sections there doent seem to be any jobs available anywhere in Oz -PLEASE CAN SOMEONE DIRECT ME IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION....

  2. Okay, first up definitions of schools in Australia. Public schools which are the equaliant of your LEA school are under the control and funding of the state education departments these are free schools all people between set ages are entitled to attend. Catholic schools are under the control of the Catholic Education Office of each Diocese, they may or may not have a religious order still attached to them. Catholic Schools are funded by the Federal government, the Catholic Church and fees from parents. Independant schools are funded by the Federal government, other organisations and parents.
    In Australia, most of the public jobs are allocated though centralised staffing in each state (or territory). The exception to this is Victoria. The first thing you will need to do is go to the websites of these Departments of Education and Training. Many are prepared to provide foreign nationals with visas at the moment. The your best bet would be the ACT (urban schools) , WA, NT or SA (for rural and remote). You will then need to go to the teach registration council in the state or territory you are interested in a register with them (thing General Teaching Council).
    For Catholic, no you don't have to be catholic, you just have to be prepared to sign the thought word and deed cause in your contract. Find out the diocesee you are interested in and go to their website that will give you a starting point for your search. Catholic schools have decentralised staffing (each school does it's own staffing). Again you to get registration in the state in which you wish to work.
    For work in indepentent schools go to their website, go to teachers.on.net, try the websites of the major news papers in the states you want to work. ie NSW is the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, The West Australian, The Territorian. You could also use seek.com.au. The curve ball here is you could try the land councils as well.
    This may be a little insulting, but you do realise that we start a new school year in 3-4 weeks??? Our major recruitment is in June, July and August. There is a little in October and Novemember, Late Feb and March but not much. You are job hunting in Australia at the completely the wrong time.
    I hope some of this may help but you haven't given me any details to be able to help you. Are you primary or secondary. Is this a working holiday or immigrating. What passport do you have?
    Here's some food for thought you have asked a question like how do I get a teaching job in Europe. What information would you give then? That is the scale we are talking about? Give me some specifics and I will try to point you in the right direction.
  3. Great information Phie, thanks.

    I wonder if you know anything about obtaining visa and qualifications needed. I do not have PGCE from the UK but have obtained Qualified Teacher Status over here and have been teaching for the past 3 years. I have recently learned that I would not be able to get my skills assessed as I do not have a PGCE. Are you aware of any way around this, I am a secondary school science teacher and I am aware there are shortages in rural areas etc, Do you know if there was a way they would look around this.

    Also my partner would be eligible for a visa (not through teaching) but needs another 18 months experience and so ideally we would like to begin arranging emmigrating prior to this. However if we cannot that will be our only option, I will not have had my skill assessed but I hear that Private and Catholic skills are willing to consider applicants without the PGCE, do you know if it would be realistic to come across and gain a teaching job in that way?

    Thanks for your help
  4. Hi Jane,
    In Australia, there is no such thing as an unqualified teacher. To teach you have to have a teaching qualification. I have never heard of a PGCE course in Australia. All Australian teachers qualify through one of the following routes 1. doing a bachelor degree then a graduate dipolma of education or Graduate degree. 2. Doing a bachelor of education. 3. Doing a bachelor degree with education units. 4. Orginally teachers could go to teacher training college, (no longer an option). I believe all states require you to have at least 4 years of terriary education to teach and to have undertaken formal teacher training including a minum of 50 days supervised teaching practice at a recognised teaching course. There is very little few ways around this now adays as we have teacher registration boards who all teachers must register with. This is true across all sectors. As a foreign worker I doubt they would make exceptions for you and not in a subject like science. The exception I am aware of is a builder with 20 of experience coming being given permission to teach while he undertook a specially designed teaching degree. But email the teaching coucils in each state and ask if they will register you. You might get lucky. You could try the TAFE system (Technical and Further Education) which is essentually adult education. You might find work teaching lab technition skills etc.

    I'm assuming your skills won't be assessed for immigration purposes not teaching. If you are under 30 you can get a working holiday permit which is a good start. If your partner is elligible for a visa then I think you can get a partners visa but that is a little tricky. The other immigration stuff I can't tell you about. I have an Australian passport when I walk up to immigration they have to let me in and can't ask stupid questions. You could also investigate doing a GdipEd while here, maybe on a student visa??? They would possibly exempt you from a large chuck of the course in recognision of your experience.
    I have to say it I think you would be very unrealistic to hope that you would be recognised as a teacher. I'm sorry. But all you can do is ask the teaching board what they would want from you inorder to register you.
  5. Have you thought about an exchange? On the StateDept websites there is info on teaching exchanges.
  6. phie,

    how does it work with visas?

    i have a Scottish Primary B.Ed degree which took 4 years plus i have 2 years teaching experience on top of that.

    I am only 24 and think that might go against me, what to you think?

    My partner gets out the army in January 12 and we were thinking about heading over there a few months after. What type of visa would i need if i wanted to immigrate?
    Is it possible that if i get a job before i move there that they will become my sponsor and i wont need £2500 in my bank account to prove that im not going there to leech of the country.

    many thanks :)
  7. January 2012 i mean
  8. Buttles

    Buttles New commenter

    I emigrated to Australia last year.
    I was lucky enough to have citizenship by descent so no visas.
    Some things to consider before leaving UK:
    a) Many states in Australia now employ staff on temporary contracts - no job security in Australia
    b) Many private schools are Christian in ethos and will require you to be a practising Christian able to supply a church reference. Equally the longest contract you will get is one year.
    c) Housing is inredibly expensive in Australia - the most overvalued housing market in the world
    d) Renting is expensive because your landlord will have paid such a high price to obtain the property that he/she must pass on the mortgage costs to you. Expect to pay $300 Australian dollars a week just for a one bedroom property. Multiply that by 4 for a month and you are looking at $1,200 Australian dollars. The Aussie dollar is at a record 30 year high so exchange rates with the UK pound are crippling for British people coming to Australia.
    I could go on but the New Life Down Under lifestyle programmes will not warn you of this.

  9. I too am looking at ways of emmigrating to oz on a skilled migration visa. Unfortunately, primary teaching has been removed from the list but early childhood teachers and secondary teachers still remain.
    Have a look at:
    If anyone knows how I can exend my primary PGCE 5-11 to include early years 3-5 please let me know. I don't want to do another PGCE - this seems crazy!
  10. New South Wales needs science, maths and special education teachers. Primary teachers who undertake special ed training have better chances of employment. Go to the Department of Education's website at www.teach.nsw.edu.au as it has great information about getting permanent and temporary positions.

  11. Whats state? Is it WA? Was the school a private school for phon einterview or Government?
    Very good advice-no rose coloured glasses-ENGLISH people take note-This isn't Wanted Down Under-the whole world is stuffed-so i dont think u can "immigate" anymore-its
    all the same-however it couldn't be worse than the UK? Or can it?
    everything the above poster says is true-its which **** u want to put up
    with-can u hack 46C summer?? bushfires, flies and *** who drive
    utes? We dont know ourselves what to do? stuck between the two-cant move
    forward cant go back....hopeless....no permanent employment.....

  12. I am British and I completed the Graduate Diploma of Education in Australia. I couldn't get on a PGCE at all in England due to them being so over-subsribed!!! All I can say is Australia is an amazing country, with amazing schools, facilities, staff and students. I have absolutely no regrets. However, unless you are related to an Australian or have lived there for a good few years, the chances of working there as a full time permanent teacher is close to impossible! I trained there and it didn't make a difference. You have to be a citizen to work as a teacher.. A holiday VISA will allow you to work as relief (supply) or work on contracts up to 6 months only.. However, supply is very hard to secure down under, it's not like England where we have countless agencies..... Hope this helps!
  13. Hi Crumpetsandtea,
    Getting relief work should be easy if you are any good. It's always been for me.Get registered with the Teaching council in your state/territory. Contact the Education department in your state and get registered to teach with them. Then contact the schools you want to teach in and give them your CV including registration and approval to teach numbers. I usually to this in person and ask to speak with the staffing officer at the same time. Then they call you. But I ocassionally contacted certain schools to see if they are have need of me. You could also contact the CEO and register with them. Your other option is to go to a particular independent school and get on their relief register. These positions are often advertised online. It's a touch more work but you're not losing a significant chuck of your pay to the agency.
    Try it it might help.
  14. Thanks for this but believe it or not I did all of the above and more! I am now back in the UK with a full-time job offer for September :)
  15. Is your job offer by any chance in London?
  16. Hi All, I'm moving out with my husband to WA on a permanent residence visa, will this make it easier to get work? I've been teaching for 4yrs but I'm trained through the gtp, do you know anyone that's managed to get work having a gtp? And what agencies do u recommend? I'd like to try and sort something before I come over in August....am I being naive?!
  17. Hi Jezzie
    Just wondering if you had any luck emmigrating. I'm in the same boat however I did my PGDE in Scotland and it included the ages from 3-12.
    Any idea if this is suitable for ealry childhood??
  18. @ laura.bridges
    I might be wrong, but I suspect that the GTP qualification will be a significant hurdle as it is not recognised outside of the UK. I would contact the teacher registration agency in WA before you arrive to see what you need to do to convert this into an accepted qualification.
  19. Just wanted any further updates on this thread. Am in Perth and I have just been granted temporary residence (2 years) on a partner visa application and can now seek employment. I understand that the new teacher registration agency here in WA (TRBWA) now require a fee ($280) to check whether the GTP qualification is acceptable - this is deductable from the usual registration fee, if approved.Without trawling through the numerous replies on this topic (some seem quite irrelevant), wondered if anyone has some free advice to offer?
  20. Hi there,
    Your message has been of great assistance to me. I am an Irish teacher wishing to relocate, what is the job suitation like now in 2013? I'd be hoping to move in September the latest.

Share This Page