1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia QTS but not PGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Gemzyba, Jun 2, 2020.

  1. Gemzyba

    Gemzyba New commenter

    Hi all,

    My husband and I are both secondary teachers with QTS, however, we do not have PGCEs. I understand that QTS is not a recognised qualification in Australia. Which is frustrating, as both our courses would have had the minimum 45 days’ supervised teacher training required plus weekly university lectures to fulfil the visa requirements.

    We are now looking at other visa options, has anyone been in this same position? What did you do to qualify?

    I have had suggestions of studying for a PGCE, I don’t think the top up would be accepted for the skill assessment. I don’t know how a full-time PGCE would work, as we are both full-time teachers.

    We have also toyed with the idea of a masters of education, but it would also need to have 45 days of supervised teaching.

    Any suggestions on what we could do would be very much appreciated!!
  2. 4019775

    4019775 New commenter

    I have recently worked in Queensland for EQ. Had no problem getting a job or registering with Queensland College of Teachers with a PGCE and 15 years experience. In fact my employer done most of the work and pushed through my registration in two weeks.

    Having said that I am Maths/Chemistry. You don't say what you teach but if not Maths/Chemistry/Physics or one or two others there are no jobs, certainly not in major cities.

    Not sure what QTS is. I assume QTS is some English thing that means you don't need a PGCE and thus provide more "teachers" driving down pay. Thankfully many countries have far higher standards than England and don't let the unqualified into classrooms.
  3. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    @4019775 every teacher in England has to have QTS even if you have a masters, Phd or even a doctorate. You either do your degree then your PGCE (so 4 years in total) and gain QTS or you do a BEd (3year course) and gain QTS. You also need QTS in Wales.
    I'm assuming the OP obtained their qualification to teach either as a BEd or some other recognised teaching qualification in England.
    I think Australia requires a 4 year qualification like Scotland, so a 3 year degree plus PGCE or a 4 year Teaching Degree.
    https://www.smartteachers.co.uk/node/90#:~:text=To teach in Australia, you,in primary or secondary schools.&text=A four year Bachelor of Education degree; or
    TeacherMan19 likes this.
  4. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    Are you sure that a masters would have to have a teaching requirement? I am not familiar with Australian requirements but a lot of countries that have a masters level qualification will accept QTS and a masters degree in education.
  5. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter

    Correct QTS is not recognized. Why? QTS is a (professional development) process not a qualification. They do something similar for their accreditation.

    Masters won't get you anywhere because,
    • in Aus NOONE can qualify for a masters program without completing their Bachelor degree
    • some "masters" in the UK are... To put it bluntly, are dodgy and are not recognized.
    Every local teacher aged less than 50 - 55 has some sort of a Bachelor of Education degree. That's the standard you need to meet.

    Save your money, ignore your masters idea. The bare minimum is completing your PGCE.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  6. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    I wouldn't think that the visa type was the issue. If the AITSL don't recognise your qualificaiton then surely you won't get ANY visa. It seems that you would have to retrain.

    I would ask myself very, very carefully whether Australia was my absolute, unshakeable dream. Qualificaitons aside, Australia is very, very difficult to get in to. There is no teacher shortage there apart from in the very undesirable parts and this is going to be a very different life from anything you might have seen on TV.

    You're likely to spend thousands and thousands of pounds to end up either with no visa because your points are too low or teaching in Alice Springs or Townsville and wondering what on earth you've done.

    Even if you do eventually qualify for a visa, you're almost certainly going to have to go remote, otherwise you'll be in the visa queue for 5 years behind 100,000 more qualified Indians
  7. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    I don't understand how you don't have QTS if you have a PGCE. It's actually the opposite of driving down standards - it means that, on top of your subject, you are qualified to teach
    TeacherMan19 likes this.
  8. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I am sorry to be a wet blanket, Gemzyba, but I think that you will find that property prices in most cities in Ozzland are about as ridiculous as they are in the UK. Your problems to do with PGCEs and QTS and the other things you have written about might in fact be pretty irrelevant if you cannot afford to live there. Renting might be your only option and that would be money down the drain. On the other hand, maybe you have already researched this and you have piles of cash, so you can easily afford to buy a pleasant house Down Under. In which case, please ignore my comments!

    However, 4019775 makes a valid point. You might find it difficult to get a job in one of the Australian cities and maybe there are already quite a lot of Australian teachers who are currently applying for teaching posts.

    If you are considering other options, then maybe you should think about China. Or Bulgaria.
  9. Gemzyba

    Gemzyba New commenter

    Thanks all for your replies. We are currently looking into our options for retraining.

    @T0nyGT We spent 2 years in Australia on a working holiday visa, and spent a significant amount of that time in regional Australia. Personally we are not keen on relocating to one of the major cities. We are not under the illusion that life is perfect there, as we had our fair share of difficulties whilst there, however, we fell in love with the country.

    I have spoken with a few migration experts, they have confirmed that a course would have to include 45 days of supervised teaching, either PGCE or Masters. I have also spoken with a migration and education agency regarding courses in Australia.

Share This Page