1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia (from an Aussie)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aussie_teacher_nt, Dec 24, 2015.

  1. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

    Ok, a run down from someone already in the system.

    1: Google maps Australia. See the east coast. Put your thumb over the east coast from Melbourne to Brisbane. That bit has 85% of the population. That bit will also have almost no jobs in teaching unless you are highly experienced, a specialist or possibly a High School maths/science teacher.

    2. See the rest of Australia, yeah that really big empty bit. That's were the work is.

    3. Ok now on google maps see those lines dividing up Australia into 8 bits (you need to include the island of Tasmania) if you are registered in one bit you can ONLY work in that one bit. You registered in Queensland and want to work in Sydney. Nope!!! Forget it. Time for a new registration....

    4. The TRB and DET (teacher reg and Dept Education) in each state has different rules and pay structures for all of those bits mentioned in step 3. Weirdly the TRB of each state seem to hate each other so if you've worked in QLD and want to go WA they may throw all sorts of rubbish at you to make the reg more difficult. Multiple state registration is possible but you'll have to pay for each state and supply documents to each state. Even among Aussie teachers the NSW TRB has an atrocious reputation so some of the other posts on this site about them do not surprise me.

    5. To register: Generally, you need the following. A 4 year teaching degree or a bachelor plus a grad dip or masters in TEACHING (not just education). Now the Grad Dip used to take one year but this is been fazed out so generally now it's a Masters and you are looking at 1.5 - 2 years full-time (in Australia). However this does not mean that for Registration you need to be 5 years of study.You just need the degree + the grad dip/masters. Note: for HS Teachers you will generally needed to have studied your teaching fields at uni. eg: A math teacher must have studied math to teach it.

    6. Work with children check. This is a police check and again for each bit of Aus has different requirements. Again a QLD work with children will not be usable in NSW. These checks generally last 2 years. By the sounds of it (on these forums) many people OS have NOT been able to do this online as the process must be done in Aus (although that's just what I read and it may change state by state).

    7. After registration: Yay, finally some good news. As long as step 6 is up to date you can just pay online to keep yourself registered. Note if your reg lapses then go back step 5 again and start the whole process from scratch. ie: do not do this.... lol!

    Getting a job

    Ok so we did all that how bout getting a job?

    Sure just stay away from the bit mentioned in step 1 and your chances are actually pretty good. As like any job the hardest step is just to get in the door. So best ways are:

    1. Relief teaching: Get called in on the day, the DET may have you on a list and feel free to just pop in to schools to introduce yourself and get on their list (this is the best way). Good for travelers, parents for secondary income. Average pay $200-$300 AUD per day.

    2. Contract relief teaching: Can be in two forms. 1: A relief teacher for a specific school. Work times same as any other teacher (5 days a week). These teachers cover when people are sick and will take classes for set periods to give the class teacher some planning time. Usually minimal planning and assessment. Also usually for rural schools as the cities have a big pool of relief teachers. 2.Relief class teacher. Where the usual class teacher has left, is taking leave for an extended time, etc. Usually the best terms for this type of work is after the first term in Feb. 2nd semester (June/July) is usually very good as you can pick up work for a full semester (2 terms, 20+ weeks). For both types of relief it's good for singles/travelers with no commitments. Pay: same as a normal teacher of your experience for the contract period. Also about 1-6 weeks holiday pay depending on length of contract.

    3. Remote/Rural: So can you deal with living 700ks + away from the nearest coffee/pizza joint then go for it. This is the best place to start as there is still a critical shortage of teachers who are prepared to live beyond the black stump (middle of nowhere) to work. These communities (rather than towns) can range from 300 to 5,000+ depending where they are at. They fall broadly into 3 categories.

    A- Rural Centers: Large towns that service the surrounding areas. Will have a hospital, shopping center etc.

    B- Mining Towns: Basically mining families living in the middle of nowhere. Will have basic services depending on size. Lager ones 2-3000+ will have a supermarket, police and maybe a hospital.

    C- Indigenous Community: Aboriginal towns ranging from 200-1000+ towns. Services will be very basic depending on size. Small communities will just have a petrol station and a small corner shop. Some of these towns are the most remote places in Australia. Will generally have a small airstrip nearby. Some of these places can also be a major culture shock, even for many Aussies.

    People with families A and B are the best bet and since you are willing to go remote/rural the Visa process will also be streamlined. Permanency is also easier to get in these places and most DET's have a system if you do a certain number of years remote/rural you can get an automatic transfer back to the capital of that state. Also couples that are nurse/teacher, doctor/teacher or teacher/teacher will be highly sought after in the above areas.

    Most communities in the B and C categories (and some in the A) will include free accommodation and also free flights in and out. On longer contracts in some states you may receive 2-3 free flights in and out that can be used for your holidays.

    Visa advise

    My only advise is this. Do not mess with Aussie immigration. I personally know of some UK working holiday peoples who have been carted off to Detention centers and then booted out of Oz with a 5 year ban. Do not let this happen to you....

    Last word

    To any grammar nazis.... don't care on holidays.... gone fishing.....LOL.
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

  3. wendybrady

    wendybrady New commenter

  4. wendybrady

    wendybrady New commenter

    hi there and thanks for your helpful advice. i have a three year bachelor degree in primary education. As it is not a four year degree is there any hope for me?
  5. backtoback

    backtoback New commenter

    My partner and I are looking at the possibility of moving to Australia - he is from Melbourne. Have been undecided as to which visa to apply for, but from the sounds of this, I am better off paying the extra to go for Defacto rather than Independent work visa!

    I am a Media HOD but my degree is in German - it sounds like the odds are against me ever getting a teaching job over there!!

    Best start rethinking my career plans I think :(
  6. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

    As far as I know you will have a problem. The only people I know of who are in your boat have been in the system for a very long time (before 4 year bach Ed.).

    NT TRB:

    The minimum academic requirement for registration as a teacher in the Territory is:

    • a degree awarded by a higher education institution on completion of a 4 year full-time (or the equivalent part-time duration) initial (pre-service) teacher education course that includes a minimum of 45 days of supervised practice teaching in a school; or
    • a combined four years of full-time study (or the equivalent part-time duration) completed at a higher education institution that results in the award of a degree plus a qualification awarded on completion of a teacher education course of at least one year full-time duration (or the equivalent part-time duration) that includes a minimum of 45 days supervised practice teaching in a school.
  7. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

  8. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

    Actualy you should be OK If the University will accept your German Degree (and I think they will) you should be able to enroll into a Grad Dip/Masters for Primary Teaching. Here is specific info for VIC Teacher Reg for OS.

    "To gain registration in Victoria with interstate or overseas qualifications, the institute must assess that you are appropriately qualified. If you have overseas qualifications the institute will also undertake an equivalence assessment of all the qualifications you present. If these qualifications are assessed as not equivalent to the requirements for teachers in Victoria, you will be advised which areas (e.g. practicum time and teaching methods) may need further study, and how to access appropriate courses or course units"

  9. backtoback

    backtoback New commenter

    Many thanks for the info, however, I cannot think of anything worse than teaching Primary :(
  10. poolbabe

    poolbabe New commenter

    Recently returned from my second Aussie holiday and have been in touch with a migration agent. Found out I could apply, as main applicant, for a 190 sponsored visa but only in WA - not keen (been to Perth and although it is beautiful it is so far away from the rest of Australia), NT - not keen (beautiful but being a Pom from the South, there is a danger I may melt!) or Vic but only if I can prove I can teach a language. Now Vic would be absolutely fine but the languages is a concern as I have taught in my current school for 16 years and only occasionally teach French as we have a specialist. I am also concerned as I've tried to have a look for job but there don't seem to be many Primary ones. I am worried that if we start the process which apparently will cost in the range of 20k-30k to migrate there may not be a job at the other end. I'm currently a Yr leader and Science/ DT manager in a large Junior School (600 pupils) it is a lot to leave if I can only get a job in a bar. Thanks for the details aussie_teacher_nt Decisions...decisions
  11. kirstyrl

    kirstyrl New commenter

    Hi, I'm a Secondary and A-level Maths teacher in the UK and I'm looking to do some teaching in Sydney later this year. Do I stand a chance?
  12. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

    Hi Poolbabe,

    You'll melt anywhere.... not just the NT. Actually the Top End is tropical and always 30-32 C and doesn't get heatwaves that you can get in WA, SA and VIC where it can be 45 C. Perth and Darwin are isolated from the rest of Aus. From Darwin it's quicker and cheaper to fly to Singapore than Brisbane.

    I think with your level of experience you'd be in a good position to get work. Have you thought of Principle/ Assistant P?

    In my mind the first thing I would consider is wage. Would the DET pay you at the payscale of your experience (I'm thinking yes). Second is Tax. On a high paygrade your looking at 45% tax rate. Another thing to consider is that the WA wage is the highest in Aus, followed by the NT. Nothing wrong with living in the NT or WA as there is so much to explore and it's quite "different" from the rest of Australia. If I were you I'd look at going into a rural center for 4 years then relocating into the capital after that. They would snap you up in a location like that.

    Here is the job search for higher level teachers in the NT.


    and here is the general teacher job search.


    You should be able to find the same for bot WA and VIC.

    Languages in Primary: Hmmm, bit of a wierd one here. Traditionally languages were always taught at High School level but that's slowly changing. French.... hmmm.... you'd really have to look at the DET reg per state to see what they want. Look up LOTE Teacher (languages other than English).

    Your Science and DT background is way more useful as there is a big push at Primary level for these skills for students. Some type of DT specialist position with the DET instead of working at a school would also be available for you if there was a job going.

    One other thing to consider is International schools in Aus. I have absolutely no idea about this but if you could find a UK (i'm assuming you are there) curriculum school they may be very interested in you.

    The 190 Visa looks good, but just be aware of the requirements to keep the PR.

    Woooh, long post.

    Final word is, do you really want to live in Australia? If the answer is yes, then go for it. Your in an excellent position with your experience!
  13. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

    Hi kirstrl,

    There is a shortage of Math teachers in Australia so maybe yes. The NSW Teacher Reg are an absolute nightmare and I know for a fact that the NSW has a massive amount of over supply of teachers, to the point where some teachers can not get enough work to even fulfill there requirements to become a fully registered teacher after initial registration (that means ****** all work and they are losing their registration status). Sydney is one of the most expensive cities on the planet (no joke) do you really want to lose 50-60% of your wage in rent?

    If your backpacking, literally just go fruit picking. You can make the same wage as a teacher 800-1000 a week.
  14. SAshley85

    SAshley85 New commenter

    This is a brilliant thread. My husband and I have just started researching into possibly migrating with our 4 year old.

    He has 3year BSc Psychology, GTP with QTS and 4 years experience.
    I have 4year BSc Computing, Graduate Diploma in Teaching in Lifelong Learning Sector and MEd.

    Is there any hope for us? It's really something we are considering now. We both love teaching but are falling out of love with the UK Education System. No clue where we want to move to yet.

    Do you think we should try a "working holiday"?

    Thanks so much for your advice.
  15. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

    Working holiday looks out due to this:

    - do not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia.


    You wouldn't be able to teach at school because your Grad Dip is for Adult Education. That type of work is usually at TAFE (technical college). However there is jobs for VET supervisors (vocational training) at High Schools (your not a teacher you just organize courses, etc) as this is a way for Australia to keep kids in school to grade 12. An example is they used to drop at at year 10 then start a trade apprenticeship, but now they do the apprenticeship and stay in school. The Australian equivalent is the Cert IV in Workplace, Training and Assessment (or the Dip). You may need to RPL this course for that type of work (maybe?).

    No prob for your husband as he's already a teacher.

    There is quite a push for VET in remote/rural areas as it's a way of training up unemployed people to get jobs in various industries. A largish rural center is the way to go for this. However the funding for this seems to come and go depending on the politics of the state. I did see a bunch of HS VET jobs in the NT at the end of last year. Pretty good pay around the 75-80K mark. Was semi-thinking about applying for them as my background is Adult Education but my C IV had lapsed and couldn't be bothered getting it again as I'm already doing my M Ed.
  16. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    As far as I'm aware, you only need a bachelor's and a PGCE to teach in Australia if you're from the UK. A PGCE must be the equivalent of a Grad Dip I suppose.
  17. SAshley85

    SAshley85 New commenter

    This is great advice. I was worried about my husband as he has a GTP which I had read wasn't good enough. I can always fall back on my IT degree if I cannot find work as a teacher.
  18. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

    From the NT Teacher Registration Board

    a combined four years of full-time study (or the equivalent part-time duration) completed at a higher education institution that results in the award of a degree plus a qualification awarded on completion of a teacher education course of at least one year full-time duration (or the equivalent part-time duration) that includes a minimum of 45 days supervised practice teaching in a school.

    It's possible it's not good enough as I really know nothing about the GTP. It would be best to contact the teacher registration in the state you want to live in first. I do know that a 3 year teaching degree (old courses) are not good enough unless you are already a registered teacher. A possible course of action is to get the GTP transferred into a PGCE. Most TRB's want a year of academic teacher courses as well as a minimum amount of school days pracs. There are other avenues of registration though, like this one as an example (QLD):

  19. SAshley85

    SAshley85 New commenter

    Thank you so much again. I've contacted them to see what they say. I really can't wait to get the ball rolling now. Love teaching so it will be a pleasure to teach people who actually want to learn.
  20. senlady

    senlady Senior commenter

    any particular tips on moving specifically to get into SEN teaching? tHANKS

Share This Page