1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Austraila / NZ

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ellagiles, Oct 7, 2018.

  1. ellagiles

    ellagiles New commenter

    Hi everyone,

    I qualified in 2015 with Early Years Teaching with QTS and have loved teaching ever since.....
    I want a change, I want to see the world, I want to experience a different school system, different management style and a different way of life.

    I could really do with some help with where to start, do I find a job and then apply for a visa? Do I apply for a working visa? Do I apply for emigrating? Do I go out their and hope for the best? What visa do I apply for? And do I really have to have a 4 year degree when I only have a 3 year degree to teach in Aus?

    I am sorry if a forum like this has already been posted and if you have answered these questions before but I have been researching and I seem to find the same answers and no further help!

    Thank you.
  2. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    For Australia you need a 189 / 190 visa. No you don't need a 4 year degree, you need a 3 year plus PGCE. However, if you only qualified 3 years ago then you probably won't have enough points for the visa unless you were educated in Australia. You need at least 75 points to be a serious candidate
  3. ellagiles

    ellagiles New commenter

    Thank you for the reply!
    Unfortunately, I did a 3 year degree to get my QTS do I did not need to do a PGCE at the end of my degree. Which would mean it would have to be 4 years in total which I do not have.

    Thank you again.
  4. 576

    576 Established commenter

    I want a change, I want to see the world, I want to experience a different school system, different management style and a different way of life.

    Plenty of other countries. (that are easier to get jobs in) can fulfil this criteria.
    dumbbells66 likes this.
  5. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    True, but not many with the quality of life, weather and comfortable working infrastructure of Australia
  6. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    And the house prices of Australia, T0nyGT.
  7. swsimp160

    swsimp160 Occasional commenter

    It is easy to get a job anywhere in Oz if you teach Maths, Chemistry or Physics and I found registration with [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] very straight forward. As Education Queensland say on their website there is a 'long term critical shortage' of these subjects. I had great time in Brisbane. Brilliant school. Brilliant kids. Good wages and great pension. Rent reasonable for good place outside Sydney and melbourne. Pick your school if one of these three subjects. If you teach anything else there is, with state authorities (who will treat you far better than majority of schools on the 'circuit' ) work but you have to go rural or remote.

    For example full time supply in rural (2 hours from Brisbane e.g. Warwick or Toowoomba) Queensland through the Tracer system regardless of what you teach and if you go remote you can get full time with accommodation and bonuses for any subject or primary.

    I found Oz and Ozzies brilliant. Life is short and I would say go for it and ignore the usual nonsense from the 'established' brigade on here.
    jofran likes this.
  8. swsimp160

    swsimp160 Occasional commenter

    Brisbane very reasonable. Affordable for two teachers or, in my case, teacher and a midwife.
  9. swsimp160

    swsimp160 Occasional commenter

    Why bother? [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
  10. swsimp160

    swsimp160 Occasional commenter

    So I was not allowed to post that registration with the regulatory body in the Australian state I worked in was an easy process and my account may be suspended as a result.

    Over six months after starting posting on here every single post is still checked first by a moderator before being posted. This forum is quite a place.
    blue451 likes this.
  11. Sherbear320

    Sherbear320 New commenter


    Your title said Oz or nz, here they are super short of early years look on seek.co.nz or education gazette many places will pay for a work visa for you as there is a grant scheme now and you may also get a grant. You then don't have to go to the expense of permanent visa if you under 30 I think you can get holiday visa which I think is 2 years some amazing places here. I in Hawkes Bay had about 4 weeks of winter which here is like UK autumn.

  12. pink_reindeer

    pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

    swsimp - I've sent you a conversation thing!

    ellagiles - I registered with an agency who relocate teachers to NZ. I probably can't name the agency here so I'll see if I can start a conversation with you too.
  13. You'll need a 4 year Bachelor of Education OR a Bachelor degree in anything with a PGCE in Primary 5-11 or Secondary 11-18 to teach in Aus.
    QTS is not a thing in Aus so that won't help! I would advise to check New Zealand options as you wouldn't be eligible for Aussie teaching registration with a three year degree.
  14. swsimp160

    swsimp160 Occasional commenter

    Absolute nonsense. A three year degree from an English uni and a PGCE will get you registration no probs in Queensland and I speak from very recent experience. I would avoid smart at all costs as well. Apply directly
  15. swsimp160

    swsimp160 Occasional commenter

    Posting from an agency you and an awful one at that
  16. A three year Bachelor degree in anything with a PGCE Primary/Secondary is totally fine. I have that too, well the Aussie equivalent.... I have a BMus and a Graduate diploma of Secondary education. I taught in Victoria for a number of years. No problems with Aussie teaching registration with that.

    The issue with overseas Bachelor of Educations is that they are sometimes completed in 3 years. This is when it's a problem with the Australian teaching registration boards because Aussie Bachelor of Educations are 4 years.

    You can always contact the boards of education directly to see what they advise? I wouldn't advise committing to an Aussie visa unless you had an answer as to whether you'd be eligible for Aussie teaching registration.
  17. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    You wouldn't be able to get an Aussie visa unless you were eligible anyway as one of the visa requirements is that you are fully endorsed by the AITSL
  18. Not all migrants need an AITSL assessment though. Teachers travelling to Aus on the Working Holiday visa don't need an AITSL assessment nor do teachers who are dependents on visas- for example, a teacher married to a engineer might migrate over on the skilled migrant 189 visa, but the engineer is the main applicant and the teacher is the dependent. The engineer would need the skill assessment, the teacher would not.
  19. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Good point. Didn't think of visa dependents.

    If you're thinking of the move though Smart Teachers are very helpful, especially Monet above who has helped me before with enquiries
  20. Appreciate that, Tony!! :D

Share This Page