1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Asian countries

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by JL_123test, Dec 20, 2018.

1. JL_123test

JL_123test New commenter

Hello all. I'm an experienced business subjects teacher and my partner can teach English. We are considering moving to one Asian country and stay there for a while. We are thinking of China, Korea, or Thailand. Do you have any suggestion? Pros and cons? Should I apply for the openings directly on schools' websites or through an agency? Many thanks.

2. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

When you say 'partner' you mean wife/gf, if you're male and husband/bf if you're female, right?

If not, you should think very carefully about what (if any) Asian country you apply to teach in. If you are not married, that can also affect the application procedure in some countries.

JL_123test likes this.
  3. JL_123test

JL_123test New commenter

Thank you hs9981. We are not married but it shouldn't be a concern for us. We'd like to stay in one city and working for different employers is acceptable.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The amount of countries where you "have" to be married is small. Its not a big deal if you arent.

I suggest you go onto the teaching overseas forum on TES for further help

5. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

If you apply as 'Adam and Steve' it is.

6. JL_123test

JL_123test New commenter

Thanks a lot dumbbells66. I will go to the teaching overseas forum for help.

7. WTDT

WTDT New commenter

I taught in Asia for many years prior to doing my pgce in the UK. I didn’t live I. The countries you mentioned but I knew quite a few teachers who moved to them, and there were often discussions around where to go next. South Korea seemed to sound the best to me because:
    - for ESL teachers, rent etc were structured in to the package (free living costs) which is a big deal
    - pay was decent
    - S.Korea is more developed
    - reliable infrastructure
    - Thailand (at the time I was abroad) had some political skirmishes happening

I’m sure things have changed in all 3 places. And I’m unsure of the working conditions in international schools. I do know that word on the street was that S.Korea was similar to Japan in many respects - so easily adaptable for someone who had lived in Japan, which I had. I found Japan brilliant. I’m sure there is a much more comprehensive account than mine. Good luck!

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

If you own property in the UK, I’d recommend keeping it and renting it out. I knew someone who sold up when they left the country and house prices rose so sharply in their absence that they couldn’t afford to buy the house or one in the area they’d lived in before they went.

9. myette_blannin

myette_blannin New commenter

I worked in Thailand and can honestly say it was the best decision I've made. Unfortunately, I made the decision to leave and try a different continent and now regret this decision. I love South East Asia. The lifestyle, the food, the expat community, the opportunity to travel for very little money, during holidays and weekends. It was great! Good luck with whatever you choose.

10. paulahigginsteach

paulahigginsteach New commenter

I would love to know more about your experiences as i'm also considering it.