1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in America

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by FSharp, Feb 10, 2011.

1. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

I was considering in a year or two to move to the USA and teach ICT for a couple of years. Does anyone have any idea how I would find out what training I would need or how I would find information?

Thank you

2. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

Sorry I forgot to add. Currently I'm in England

3. The US is not an easy country to get into as a teacher of a core subject- lots of teachers have been made unemployed over the last couple of years.... lots of Tech. professionals too. With the economic crisis,expensive and non- essential programs were the first to go!
    ICT as a subject? Well, its existence will vary from state to state- you'd be best to look at it from a Learning Commons/ media point of view as that seems to be the direction of thinking in US schools.
    You don't say if you're Primary or Secondary but the above could be considered true in either case.
    Take a look at the International/ British schools in the USA- you might have more luck there.

4. Hi F Sharp
    You might want to take a look at a thread from last year about this - do a search on "Teaching mathematics abroad - specifically America" - you'll at least find some links to some starting points. It concerned job seeking in the US generally, not just maths.
    Higgi17 is right on the money when he/she says the US is not easy to get in to though!
    Best of luck.

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Unless you are a US citizen, or married to one, the school will have to apply for a H1B visa for you. This is a big hassle that takes a fair bit of time and money. Oh, and, before you ask, even if you were prepared to, the school has to pay the cost of the visa.