1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in America. VIF?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Laurenj211, Oct 11, 2016.

  1. Laurenj211

    Laurenj211 New commenter

    I am trying to move to America for the next school year. My boyfriend is a resident in Washington state and I'm a primary teacher in England and have held the position for 2 years. I've started to look at visas and lots of blogs about how people make the move there. I've looked at VIF also. Just wondering if anyone has used it or can give me any advice at all about the best way to get things started.
    There just seems to be so many requirements and different laws. I'm struggling.
    Thanks in advance
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    How about getting married? Mrs. Hippo found it a lot easier to get a UK passport once she had a UK husband.
    Helen-Back likes this.
  3. mikemcdonald25

    mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

    Good advice from the aged pachyderm! Thanks to G. W. Bush It would avoid all the problems with working in the US that have been quoted on here ad nauseum by so many posters
  4. Hi Lauren,

    Did you have any luck with this? I'm in a similar position, my boyfriend is now living in the US with a two-year visa, and I am hoping to join him this summer and somehow get a J1 teaching visa. Have you had any luck or found out any more?

    Any help appreciated!

  5. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Is VIF "proper" teaching or not? Once you are married to an American citizen, then you can start the long process of getting your British teaching qualifications recognized in the U. S. of A. There may be extra courses and qualifications required as well because the U.S. curriculum is not quite the same thing as the English National Curriculum. Then there is the small matter of trying to get a job, as there are still a significant number of qualified American teachers who are looking for jobs, I believe. Even if you do get your teaching experience and qualifications accepted in the States, of course there is no guarantee that you will be able to find a teaching job in that particular area where you will be living in the U.S.

    I have never taught in the U.S., so maybe my views are not worth much. I have had (and still have) quite a few American colleagues and I think that they would say the same things.
  6. miss_saigon

    miss_saigon New commenter

    When you move from one state to another state in the U.S, you will need to transfer your teaching credentials. You need to ask these two important questions:

    1. Can you work in other states with the teaching certificate from your current state?
    2. If not, can you apply for a teaching certificate in a new state using your current teaching license?
    (Drs, lawyers etc when moving to another state also have to re-take their professional exams)

    So you will need a teaching certificate with license reciprocity, approved by NASDTEC states. You need to find out about license reciprocity policies in your state and the state(s) in which you are interested in teaching.

    Unless you are planning to teach in the British schools in the US, then you do not need to take Praxis tests- tests to certify your subject (s) and will give you license to teach in the public schools.
  7. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Marrying a boyfriend who is resident wouldn't help at all. Residents cannot bring girlfriends.
    Even marrying a US citizen would not automatically convey the right to work in the US. It's harder than that.
  8. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    If it is harder than that, then maybe it would be easier for the OP to find a new boyfriend.

Share This Page