1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Abu Dhabi: Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Hammer1123, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Hammer1123

Hammer1123 New commenter

Hi all,

My wife and I have decided to take the plunge and move to Abu Dhabi next Summer.
    I am currently a PE HOD with 14 years experience in London and my wife is self employed.
    We have 2 children (5 & 2 come next year) and the plan is for me to be the sole earner with an additional income from a UK house rental.
    I will be looking for a secondary teaching job following either the UK or iGCSE PE curriculum.

So here are my questions!

1) What is the best route for finding a job? The TES is great for jobs, but others have suggested applying straight to specific schools. I know it's a bit of a mine field and to "be wary" of ADEK & government schools. Can anyone please private message me a list of "decent" schools to focus on in their opinion as I know school names can't be mentioned.

2) As I will be renting out my property and living abroad I will be susceptible to Overseas Tax (20%), and with estate agent fees I'll be losing 30% straight away. Has anyone got any advice regarding this tax?

3) What is the situation with car purchasing? Are you able to get a car on PCP as in the UK or is it either rental (high costs) or outright purchase (initial deposit needed for purchase)?

4) Finally, if I am lucky enough to get offered a decent "package" with accommodation, would this usually include utility bills or does it depend on the school?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi Hammer,

I unfortunately can not answer your questions but am in a very similar situation to you (PE HOD, Non teaching wife with daughter...) and will be looking to move internationally next year...undecided on location as will depend on school/area etc... please feel free to PM and stay in touch with regards the process. As you stated have spoken to many about MOE roles in UAE and the main responses say don't do it as despite hogh basic salary there is no accom/schooling provided and these can be very expensive

3. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Not sure about 1 and 2 but one a lot of jobs here are recruited for by agencies - look for some reputable ones in the UK as some will push you towards ADEK/MoE.

You can long term lease a car which is cheaper than renting but I haven't looked I to it - I've not bothered with a car for the last few years but I'm probably going to buy a 2-3 year old car in September.

Utilities vary from school to school but I'd say as a rule of thumb - if they supply your accommodation they'll cover it. If you take an allowance and find your own place you cover them.

4. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Car rental places often offer teacher deals too. I never did it myself, but I know of a few who did and apparently it was a decent saving, as well as only for 10 months based on the fact that most teachers go home or travel during the summer.
    My accommodation was provided by the school, but I had to pay utilities. Which happened to be much higher than I expected, but questioning got me nowhere.

5. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Hammer - I have started a conversation thingy with you to answe4 your questions.

6. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Utilities went up with a bump when you had to pay a % of your rent as tax. Before that they were very low.

7. Hammer1123

Hammer1123 New commenter

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your quick replies!

8. Hammer1123

Hammer1123 New commenter

Happy to stay in touch regarding progress, definitely.

2mature likes this.
  9. TexanTeacher2013

TexanTeacher2013 New commenter

I would love to receive PMs about reputable schools as well. I am very interested in teaching abroad in 2019.

10. lanky8804

lanky8804 New commenter

Would also love to receive PM's as am looking for Sept 2019 Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

@Hammer1123 Would you mind sharing any answers to your questions?

11. windax123

windax123 New commenter

I would like some info about the reputable schools as well, if possible. Thanks in advance.