1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a special school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Fudge123, May 30, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have just got a job in a mld school and was wondering is someone could give me an insight into how planning works so i dont look too stupid when i start.
    My class are year 5 but are mainly level 1/2 - do you teach year 5 units / topics (literacy, science etc) but differentiate and support to their level or do you teach the units to their ability ie year 1 units. Or do you just work purely to their needs without following units at all.
    Also, can anyone recommend any good books that discuss different disabilities and teaching strategies - ie ADHD, autism etc.
    Am so excited to start in September but I know I have so much to learn, I want to be as prepared as I can beforehand. I will obviously go in and chat to the staff but I dont want to appear stupid if I ask really basic questions : )
    Thanks J