1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a special school.............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

What exactly were you disputing CQ, with that comment?

2. dande

dande New commenter

Post 23 you made a spelling error. Post 25 I picked you up on it. Post 26 you asked about it and I told you to read your post carefully (post 28.) You asked again in post 30 I told you to reread it carefully in post 34. For somebody who prides themselves on their knowledge I would have thought you could have done this. I even give you a clue in post 37 to tell you to check your spelling. Couldn't have made it clearer other than by spelling it out to you.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Would it be very wrong to point out that you missed a letter in one word and misspelt another? [​IMG]

4. Doglover

Sorry this quote.

5. Tee hee hee - what goes around....

6. dande

dande New commenter

What do you mean? I don't understand.

7. dande

dande New commenter

Sorry, Seren, to allay any possible confusion. I thank you for pointing out my errors and for your witty response. I responded in the way in which I did in what I hope was an amusing manner. I also deliberately deleted your smiley to make you original post which I quoted appear more severe. For this I apologise. I hope this post has helped to clear up any confusion.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You're rubbish at this - you ought to have missed out the first part of the sentence and left "you missed out a letter in one word and misspelt another" if you really wanted to make it more severe.
    Come to me for nastiness and nit-picking masterclasses.

9. dande

dande New commenter

No thanks. I am a married man!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Excellent. I've taught you well...you're a quick learner.

11. It was me that mentioned the theory. And I don't like others taking flak for something I said.

12. FGS - I DIDN'T see the spelling mistake. Why are you still waffling on about it, to the extent that you are posting post numbers? Is it THAT important?

13. Doglover

I do wish people would clarify when you put points to them :s

14. When I did my psychology degree I remember it being mentioned that all people could be regarded as lying on a spectrum that had autism as one extreme.That is not to say that everyone is slightly autistic. I believe that the idea is that the autism spectrum is continuous, with various syndromes and disorders placed at different positions along the scale. Obviously there will come a point on the scale then, where the symptoms are so mild/non-existent as to say that that person does not have any sort of ASD and so by definition we are all on the autistic spectrum.Boundaries between different diagnoses along the spectrum are some what arbitrary, and are often defined on IQ or support required by the individual.
    I, also, don't seem to be able to find a reference on the internet to confirm this idea, but certainly remember it being raised as one theory of autistic behaviour.

15. impis

impis New commenter

Just popped by to see if it had all gone quiet here - silly of me, I know.
    I haven't read all the posts - but I have skimmed over a few, only to have it confirmed that people are still squabbling.
    Working with students with ASD as I do - and having done a masters level course in ASD, I would say that I recognise some autistic trait in virtually everyone I meet. There's always some little thing - preference/obsession/quirkiness that could be regarded as typical of a person with ASD . As such, many of my colleagues, and myself, jokingly say that everyone is on the spectrum. It is not meant as an insult to those who are further up the spectrum than us - tis merely an observation based on experience and fact.
    Now, if you don't mind, I have several things that I must do before going to work - such as counting the grapes in my lunchbox to ensure there's an even number - and checking it 5 times before leaving the house. [​IMG]
    Have a great day!

16. But as I said earlier, is that not true of almost anything? It's so common as to be meaningless.

17. dande

dande New commenter

Just making clear the way in which it went.
    Clearly, not as bright as you think you are if you couldn't see it when it was pointed out to you or are you going to conveniently forget that?
    And I am still of the understanding that you are yet to respond to my previous question? Do I also need to give you clear directions as to where to find that post? Conveniently not answering perhaps, as you have done elsewhere? I does make me wonder.

18. Doglover

Airy, you are absolutely right, it is true of almost anything.
    As I said, with ASD it is not whether you have one or two of the traits. Even people with ASD will have a varying amount of traits, and to a varying degree.
    What is essential is, that the traits are apparent across the triad of impairments, and are present in every environment the sufferer finds themself in, meaning at home, at school, at work, in social situations, while shopping, while playing with friends, on holiday etc.
    They will be present to such a degree that they will be significantly affecting the person's ability to function in their every day life.

19. Out of interest I cantacted the National Autistic society to ask their views on this and they can not find a record of any study relating to everyone being on the autistic spectrum.
    As a Mum of a child who has autism I have followed this thread with interest and at times utter dismay.