1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a special school.............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 2, 2010.

1. No worries, Doglover, misunderstandings seem to be the norm around here!
    *wonders which icon to use to show humour*
    [​IMG]

2. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

All of them?

3. That is not what I was disputing.

4. Certainly, but since dande started his little tirade last night, I can understand Belle's frustration. It has been done to me too and it makes debate and conversation very difficult if someone is nit picking about your every word.

5. If you had finished off that post by saying what you were disputing we could go some way towards clearing up some of the misunderstanding that seems to be haunting this thread.

6. I mentioned it.
    And it does exist (the theory). If I could bleddy find it again you could all get off Belle's back. I hadn't mentioned whether it was valid or not, just that it existed. Seren seems to know of evidence that is opposed ot it, but so far, I can't see that she has posted it.

7. Two points. Firstly, Dande's spelling thing was a joke and even if he could have pointed it out sooner it has certainly been pointed out often enough by not for us to move on. Secondly, it's not nitpicking to ask someone to back up a statement of like we're all on the autistic spectrum. It's a pretty substantial subject and one which the OP initially claimed an interest in discussing.

8. I was not disputing that that is what many say - I am disputing the fact of speech development as a criteria for measurement.

9. Eh? Are you sure? I thought it was BDJ who mentioned it first?

10. dande

dande New commenter

What tirade? I believe I asked the purpose of the thread. You, however, have failed to respond to the points that that have been made of questions that have been asked.

11. Two points - the spelling joke came later after he had had a go at Belle. I asked repeatedly about my spelling mistake, he would not point it out. I could NOT see it. By the time I saw it it was no longer a joke, just a silly spelling mistake.
    Secondly, if you are going to ask Belle to back up the statement of us all being on the autistic spectrum, then you need to ask me to back it up too, as I was the one who mentioned the theory. Unfortunately (and you will know that I normally back things I say up, as we are together on Opinion often) I cannot find an immediate reference to it. But it DOES exist. So I may need to wade through 5 shelves of filing to find it, but I DID read about it when researching speech development, and seren has also said she has heard of the theory.

12. I think most people would welcome something concrete to discuss. If Belle herself had even said that she was basing her opinions on the same paper you are mentioning that would have made for a more interesting discussion. As it is, I feel like anyone who questions her assertion is accused of being nasty in lieu of anything to back it up.

13. Which ones?
    I have been going back through this thread responding - have I missed something?

14. This is what I was referring to, CQ, sorry if I caused even more misunderstandings!

15. Then we have differing understandings of this thread. I am not sure who has been accused of being nasty?

16. dande

dande New commenter

Had a go? You are kidding, aren't you? Did you even read what I wrote or just jumped on the bandwagon?
    And I repeatedly told you where to look. Is it my fault that you couldn't see it? By the time you saw it or do you mean by the time Gar pointed it out? One could say it was not a spelling error but a Freudian slip and if that was you intension. However, you took the joke and twisted it (you deliberately omitted the smiley in the quote) so you could argue about it.

17. I did ask if you could remember anything else about it. You didn't reply so I assumed not. I'm not questioning that it exists - I'd like to read it.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Perhaps you should ask belle du jour to clarify it for you since it was her accusation.

19. not me, apparently but there was a general exhortation to get a grip and be nice.

20. ...add in capitals and commas where sensible. I'd hate for Dande to get all nitpicky again.