1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a special school.............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 2, 2010.

1. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

Unlikely you'd get a level of advice on here that would have a pedagogical impact. You might need to look for something more robust.

2. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

Probably true - I would've thought there would be some training I suppose - but people on here do have experience.

3. No? I've not said anything substantially different to what DL and Seren said.

4. Spot on.
    In my opinion, the op comes across as patronising towards children who have ASD and when an actual, potentially valid and interesting discussion of ASD was beginning to take place between other posters, the op had no interest in taking that further as a means of acquiring some of the advice and experiences she purports to be seeking.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

See how easy it is to be misunderstood then airy? Besides, it's not always whay you say but how you say it.

6. acertainsomething

Only women talk like that

7. I wasn't aware that I'd been particularly polite or they particularly rude. I'd still be interested to know why you think everyone is on the autistic spectrum and what you're basing your view on. I really can't find anything to support it via google.

8. impis

impis New commenter

I'm with you on this one BelleDuJour!

9. Oh, GTF - eloquence is prized by both sexes.

10. acertainsomething

Is that the new teaching council?

11. LOL!

12. dande

dande New commenter

Gar, you are becoming very good at finding sstuff that others cannot

13. My Googling skills are not great, obviously. I've taken those tests before and besides admitting to liking libraries better than parties and finding some social situations awkward I don't see how a I could conceivably seen as on the spectrum.

14. acertainsomething

Lumping everyone with autism together makes it harder to
    discuss, harder to research, and certainly harder to cure –– especially
    when a sizable chunk of [people diagnosed with Asperger's Disorder]
    take offense at the idea that they even need or want a “cure.”

15. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

That is not a diagnostic test, Gargoyle. It is a screening test only.

16. Doglover, if there was a 'tongue firmly in cheek' icon I would have used it, maybe I should have used a wink instead?
    Belle mentioned some theory about everyone being on the autistic spectrum and I happened to have watched that episode and thought a link might be pertinent.

17. dande

dande New commenter

What do the scores actually mean?

18. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Sorry Gargoyle, being as I am most likely on the Autistic Spectrum myself, subtle humour often passes me by :p

19. You can score 0 on that test.