1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a special school.............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Using "I realise" does make it seem as though you had come to understand something as fact. If that's not what you meant you should at least be able to see the reasons others might have understood it that way. I think most people exhibit mild symptoms of just about everything - sometimes I'm happy for no reason and sometimes I'm a bit down but that doesn't mean I'm bi-polar. I've quite often got a runny nose but that doesn't mean I have a cold every time I blow it.
    I thought you started the thread looking for discussion of working with autistic children and young people? Is discussing the nature of autism not part of that?

2. She hasn't said that either!

3. Everyone posesses one or two traits which may be classed as similar to those traits which are common to the autistic spectrum. That does not mean that everyone is on the autistic spectrum.
    Being "autistic" is a natural part of every child's development, when they are unaware of the needs of the others, and think they are the centre of everyone's world. Presumably the term which has been attached to the condition we now know as Autistic Spectrum Disorder, is drawn from this stage of development.
    People who are on the autistic specturm display all of the possible traits to lesser or greater degrees, and display them across three core areas, and consistently in every environment they are in. Their daily functioning is signiicantly affected by these traits, and has a serious impact on their lives.
    The idea that we are "all on the spectrum somewhere" is quite frankly an insult to those who are on the autistic spectrum.
    Belle, you have what you describe as biters etc. Any child on the Spectrum is capable of displaying any of those behaviours, not just those with severe learning difficulties. Any child with severe learning difficulites could be a "biter" and not have autism. The thing whch I find frustrating is that people don't understand that children are on the autistic spectrum whether they have severe learning difficulties or whether they have no learning difficulties. Autism is Autism. The degree of learning difficulty a child has, is really incidental to the autism. The learning difficulty is not necessarily because of the autism, it is just that those with classic autism are more likely to have severe learning difficulties, than those higher up the specturm.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Thanks CQ, but I fear Seren is just after another nit picking argument that she is so well known for, but it would be nice if she could share some of her experience.
    I am no expert but, neither have I been working with challenging children for 5 minutes (*waits for Seren to argue this one*), but I've honestly learnt more in my short time working in this Special School than I've learnt in a long, long time. A humbling experience.

5. Oh and could I just point out that OCD is not a mild symptom of autism.
    OCD is a serious and debilitating mental health disorder, which is not related to ASD.
    It can be co-morbid to ASD.

6. I don't think it's nitpicking to argue with the idea that everyone is on the autistic spectrum!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have. On many occasions.
    I haven't. I've picked up on one statement I consider to be wrong and the basis for which is just daft. However, instead of the original statement which was based on working with autistic young people for a few weeks we now have an about turn from the OP where it was suggested that BelleduJour didn't know much about autism.
    Even if I hadn't been discussing SEN, the history of SEN, autism etc already I'm somewhat amused to be instructed to keep to the OP and not digress (when everyone else already has) by anyone who has been posting on TES for more than five minutes.

8. ...and I've been having a bit of a google and I can't find any evidence to suggest it. Can you remember anything else about the person you were thinking of, CQ? I'm interested to find out about it.

9. BelleDuJour

I realise this Doglover. I have taught children with autism who are very clever indeed, but these tend (in my experience) to have milder autism. The ones I work with are severely autistic and have equally severe learning difficulties. Whilst no expert I have had a long term interest in autism and have researched the subject extensively. It appears the higher end autistic child is far more likely to have severe learning difficulties but again, there will always be an exception.

10. First mistake, Belle - there is no mild autism! They all have to meet the same diagnostic criteria, no matter where on the spectrum they are.
    The higher end autistic child is far more likely to have severe learning difficulties? Is that really what you mean?

11. BelleDuJour

Seren.....I've been working in a Special School with severely autistic young people for a short while. That doesn't mean I don't know much about autism, it just means I've only recently had hands on experience of this kind.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Since that's not what I damned well said I don't need to argue it. I assume others can read perfectly well and will see that I said 'severely autistic young people' - if I'm wrong about that fact it's because it's what you said in the OP.
    As to the rest... not worth the hassle. Another one to chalk up to rather interesting experience.

13. I've taught a boy who had classic autism but was very intelligent - his intelligence wasn't always discernible because of other autistic behaviours. And that's quite apart from those with Asperger's , although I am unsure of where the criteria for Asperger's and classic autism separate.

14. For a diagnosis of Asperger's there needs to have been no significant delay in speech development.That is the difference in the criteria.
    There also tends to be a difference in social interaction, in that the AS child will seek it out, where as the child with ASD won't.
    It looks very much however, as if the new diagnostic criteria, will not distinguish between AS and ASD.

15. BelleDuJour

Of course, but some are more severly affected than others. By 'mild' I mean 'less severely' if that helps?

16. I wasn't particularly referrering to your comments tonight, which I don't find uninteresting, but last night the whole thread descending into a nitpicking of my spelling, her "attention seeking" and goodness knows what else.
    I don't see why you always consider it "instruction" when a suggestion is made that the OP is reverted to - you do it many times yourself!
    Right - I am not going to get drawn into another stupid argument with you where every bloody word is analysed, turned, rephrased and analysed again.
    Go argue with your shadow.

17. DL, what counts as significant? I have a particular child in mind so I don't want to be too specific.

18. Aspergers can have delay in speech development.

19. BelleDuJour

Sorry Seren but this does not say I've been working with severely autistic for 5 minutes.

20. No "less severely" doesn't really help. If you saw one of my children, in full meltdown mode, you would not describe it as less severe.
    Could you please clarify what you meant when you said that those at the higher end of the spectrum were more likely to have severe learning difficulties?