1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a special school.............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 2, 2010.

1. No, I think sam was referring to the accusations others, such as jacob, have made in the past.
    Is this really all that important?

2. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

There was only one thing Belle said that made me feel a little uncomfortable, and that was where she suggested that the things that were being tied into the National Curriculum, like weighing etc, were not really going to be of much benefit to them, so they should get on with letting them have fun in the kitchen.
    I do find that a little bit patronising. These kids have as much right to access the National Curriculum as any other, and that is what learning objectives for them should reflect.

3. I was really excited to return to TES after a couple of hours to see that this thread was now 4 pages long, expecting to find out lots of interesting experiences about special education. I live in the USa now, in a pretty rough city and am planning on doing a GTP style course into special education, which I imagine will mostly involve EBD, and children who have had addictions through the womb, etc.
    So I, also would be really interested in people's experiences. I am sorry that what could have been a great source of information for me has descended into rather bizarre accusations of accusations of lying. (Yes "accusations of" is meant to be there twice!) Rather than perusing TES as normal, I have now spent 5 mintues of my life rereading CQ's posts trying to find her spelling mistake and where she accused BDJ of lying. I will never get those minutes back.
    So, my point is (and yes I know it is at the end of my post, and for that I am sorry...) I too would appreciate any advice and stories people have from different special education backgrounds.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

ha, the internet is full of evil traps.

5. That's it, nothing more, just an amusing typo that seems to have got blown out of all proportion.

6. I don't really know, but I would agree that progress should be made and knowledge of the staff of the progress they'd like to see from the students is something you'd need. I can't imagine that you can't tie most things into the national curriculum - maybe not the key stage 4 one, or even key stage 3, but somewhere

7. dande

dande New commenter

Don't make it out to be more than what it was. It was a joke hence the smiley at the end (although CQ did miss it off when she quoted me!)
    Perhaps I need to check my dictionary as I am sure there was a spelling error in CQ's post 22. Once you see it all will make sense.
    Oh well, never mind.

8. dande

dande New commenter

Hurrah! I am glad you can see it!

9. It's a right that was hard fought for as children/adults with severe learning and/or physical difficulties were not, in the not so very far past, included in education at all as special needs were addressed through a medical model.
    Dr Isobel Mair (after whom a quite local special school is called) was one of many who worked towards seeing "handicapped" children included in education and various adaptations to the curriculum were progressively developed.
    The history of sen is an interesting one.

10. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

umm - maybe on occasion she has left herself open to criticism. And maybe I wouldn't have said what she said. But I see no reason at all for criticism in this case. And am equaly sure that some of us can criticise without falling out.I personally think Belle is ACE - and different from me...

11. You know, this is a really interesting thread that Belle has started and I too fail to see why you're on one, Dande?? No one else seems to see what your issue is?? Oh - and the 'spelling police' are getting a touch dull on these forums/fora (heaven forbid I use the wrong plural around here!!) [​IMG]

12. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Well I am very glad the battle was fought and won, Seren.
    I see it as a basic human right, that everyone has access to an education based on a common curriculum, and don't see why any child or adult should be excluded from it.

13. Interesting that you say that - with academies the national curriculum is out the window, which is a concern to me.

14. dande

dande New commenter

on one what?
    It was a joke - pity so many people who pride themselves on their intellect couldn't spot a spelling error.[​IMG]

15. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

If anyone is attention seeking dande, it's you. I think this thread should continue without further reference to your irrelevant comments.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The history of sen was part of my Post Grad Dip in SfL - and probably the part I found most interesting.

17. dande

dande New commenter

Thank you for that insightful contribution.

18. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

still attention seeking I see

19. dande

dande New commenter

Simply responding to your post. Not that you have added much to the discussion.

20. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

and you think you did??????