1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a Plymouth Brethren school.

Discussion in 'Independent' started by paddly, Mar 22, 2019.

1. paddly

paddly New commenter

I have seen a post advertised recently in a PB school which is part of a larger trust. I've done a little internet research and there seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding PB schools. Can anyone shed any light? I have spoken to their recruitment team and a member of staff over the past couple of weeks and they seem very positive - and the facilities sound exceptional. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has taught in this type of school, regardless of geographical location.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd not be able to say I supported the ethos and so wouldn't apply.
    If you think you could, then go for it. The pool of applicants will be smaller than in many schools.
    Can you go and visit before deciding?

3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I knew some one who did. She was part time and just regarded it as a job, not a career. She was asked to follow the dress code which was not onerous and she had to eat with non members but it was Ok and she stayed there for quite some time.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I wouldn't.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Go to the school first.

PB can fall into two groups - Open Brethren and Exclusive Brethren. The latter, from what I can gather, are strictly Fundamentalist -and rather Sect like. You need to know which group you'd be working for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-12182333

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019