1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a carousel format Year 1 - Help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nimnom, Jul 15, 2008.

1. I am an upper KS2 teacher just about to embark on teaching Year 1 for the first time. I've read various postings about having several activities going on in your classroom at the same time but cannot even start to imagine
    a) how you plan for this,
    b) how you get manage to give all the children some quality input
    c) how you can manage to cover all the required objectives in each subject in this way as it seems very time consuming to me.

Can anyone enlighten me please as it is a completely new way of teaching to me and I really don't know where to begin. If anyone has any examples of planning I would really appreciate it.

namey@fsmail.net

thanks.

2. I am an upper KS2 teacher just about to embark on teaching Year 1 for the first time. I've read various postings about having several activities going on in your classroom at the same time but cannot even start to imagine
    a) how you plan for this,
    b) how you get manage to give all the children some quality input
    c) how you can manage to cover all the required objectives in each subject in this way as it seems very time consuming to me.

Can anyone enlighten me please as it is a completely new way of teaching to me and I really don't know where to begin. If anyone has any examples of planning I would really appreciate it.

namey@fsmail.net

thanks.

3. Depends on how many adults you have and for what times?

Do you have a TA full time? Do you have any helpers?

4. Wopuld love to know the answer to this as well. I will have a TA for a morning. Any help gratefully received.

rrg@blueyonder.co.uk

5. I will have a full time TA for the first half term. The other twist is that I work Mon and Tues and then hand over the class to my partner for Wed, Thurs Fri.

6. Hi

I am too very confused and there seems to be no planning format to look at, and many confused teachers, help

please please can somebody help

I would like to see how the child initaited is planned for and how the literacy and numeracy is planned.I have looked at the foundation stage plans they are very different, but not what is needed, how do we combine year 1 bits and foundation bits. I have 2 TAs and a part time, many AEN and poor cohort

confused Please can someone help

email is gw006a8184@blueyonder.co.uk

thanks warriorxena

7. Or can somebody point us in the direction of a wb site to help ?

8. cumbrian grid for learning and devon education both have mixed class and single year group unit plans for lit' and num'. I contacted the county people to help me and they were invaluable- subject coordinators should be able to put you in contact with them

9. thanks pinksic will look asp

10. Thanks pinkslc. I have seen the Cumbrian site before and is great for maths unit plans. Just looked at the devon site and looks quite useful. Still looking for carousel planning though so if anyone knows of any planning structure or has plans they don't mind sharing, I could really do with the help!

11. I too am very stuck on this! I am about to start in Year 1 with only experience in Reception ( but no play, very formal) and Year 2! Arg

12. I`m feelimng quite panicy about it all now! Everytime I think I have decided on what I want to do, I then think of soething else. There is so much to consider in year 1!

13. sorry for all the bad spelling!

14. Hi I too am thinking of doing a carousel in year 1, to try and keep alot of it independent and hands on. Work with a diff group every day, whilst others do independent activities linked to objectives- but THIS is what i struggle with!! how do you have activities, set out, and independent that link to objective?? and do you change objectives weekly or daily? surely daily would be impossible?!

any answers appreciated!

15. hi i'm planning to change activities on a weekly basis. Daily would be too much and not needed. At the moment i'm worried about changing table top activities between literacy and numeracy sessions. convinced myself that i'll only change the 2 adult led tables and leave the rest of the class the same, might just change letter cutters to number cutters for playdough and things like that.

16. Satpin that sounds like a good idea...it would be too much work to change all table top activities during the day...just not enough time!! So, I take you are not following the New Framework??

17. yes i will be following new frameworks!
    just gotta plan exciting, interesting activities so that kids meet the objectives from frameworks in a 'fun' way: adult led activities in role play area, modelling good speaking and listening etc.
    why do assume i'm not planning from frameworks? do you think it will work? It'll be my first year in yr 1. Been teaching foundation stage for so long and am VERY worried about planning - open to ideas...!

18. Yeah your way sounds fab!! sorry, I just assumed because the framework has many objectives to be covered in short space of time, so not sure the 1 ob per week and carousel would be enough??

I think for maths this will work...although not sure how to link independent practical activities to the obejective?

But for literacy, they usually have different obs to be covered in a week...so carousel might not work??

unless we could somehow condense the LO's to make it fit
    This is so confusing!

19. I know it is going to be hard work but i'm going to concentrate on getting kids to settle down, talk to me and to each other confidently in English and lots of speaking and listening activities for literacy. Got a lot of behaviour issues in the class and it's more important to me that they settle well and enjoy learning rather than get bogged down with strictly following all the objectives from framework. I'll see how that works in September and then stress out even more when i struggle to meet all objectives!
    Also they'll still have separate phonics session and whole class handwriting and big writing sessions. There's only so much we can do and we've got to meet the kids needs, there's no point in me teaching mine about writing 3 sentences using compounds, nouns, adjectives etc when half of them can barely string a sentence together and grip a pencil properly.