1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in a boarding school with a 2 year old

Discussion in 'Independent' started by JBagg, Feb 19, 2016.

1. JBagg

JBagg New commenter

Hi,

I'm thinking about applying to teach at a boarding school (I've been teaching in a state school for 5 years) . I understand how big the time/activity commitment is as I was educated in a boarding school myself.

However, if I were to start in September, my child would be 20 months old. Would I EVER get to see him term time? Has anyone done this full time and has managed it ok?

I do really want to apply but I'm thinking for my family's sake maybe I should wait a couple more years (but then how would it be any different...?)

2. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

Check their website and find out the school day times-if they have many day pupils the timings may lean more towards day pupils.
    Some have Sat school lessons but many do not
    Basically you need to ask what the evening duty expectations are for non resident staff

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In many boarding schools, non-residential staff take no part in boarding activities, especially if the proportion of boarders is relatively small. In others, non-residential staff may be paid to do two or three duties per term - sometimes finishing around 10pm, but sometimes involving a sleepover.

As pennyh says, you really need to ask at whatever school(s) you decide to apply to.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Could you move and live on-site? Then you'd get the best of both worlds as it were.
    And yes, I do the response for many, including me, would be "No I blinkin couldn't! My OH has a life and job as well!" I'm just offering another possibility...

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I work for a boarding/day school with a now just 4 year old - I live off school grounds, though. I have no boarding responsibilities, but do work 9-11 Saturday mornings over the course of the academic year. What I do have is the most amazing childminder who can keep him an hour or two extra (with 24 hours notice) (and Mr SK can look after him on those Saturday mornings without too much grumbling) and an understanding HOD, who appreciates that sometimes my toddler is the most important. It is possible but check very carefully what your responsibilities are (they differ from school to school, obviously). There is one week long trip that I asked to be excused from, but am planning a 3 night trip for October, so it is about solutions and knowing what is required of you before you apply/accept the job.

6. JBagg

JBagg New commenter

Thanks for all your replies, I have decided to apply and make sure I get questions answered if I get interviewed.