1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching ICT with Languages degree

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TheGingerTeacher, Jul 18, 2011.

1. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I have been lurking on this forum for a while but decided to sign up because I can't find the answer to my question anywhere.
    My degree is in MFL (French and Spanish) but I really want to teach ICT. I know my degree isn't relevant and this is going to be a problem but I have really good A-Level results in Maths and ICT. So what I need to know is, is it worth applying for ICT GTP on the strength of my A-Levels or shoudl I apply for MFL GTP? Also is it possible to apply to the same course provider for both or will this be frowned upon?

Thanks in advance

2. TheGingerTeacher

I have been lurking on this forum for a while but decided to sign up because I can't find the answer to my question anywhere.
    My degree is in MFL (French and Spanish) but I really want to teach ICT. I know my degree isn't relevant and this is going to be a problem but I have really good A-Level results in Maths and ICT. So what I need to know is, is it worth applying for ICT GTP on the strength of my A-Levels or shoudl I apply for MFL GTP? Also is it possible to apply to the same course provider for both or will this be frowned upon?

Thanks in advance

3. TheGingerTeacher

Thanks for replying. I was going to do MFL at first and hopefully get to teach ICT later but I read somewhere it is unlikely I would get an ICT teaching job with a MFL, GTP. Also I was told that there are more ICT places as they just don't fill up.
    I know it makes sense to take the subject my degree is in I'm just worried about finding work after I finish.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There may be more places but its the jobs afterwards that count. The Gove is deeply rooted to the E Bacc which means school curricula are changing to reflect that. Do check with your local ITT providers for the up to date information next year as the allocation and priority of subjects varies year to yea often quite dramatically.