1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching ICT in reception and year 1

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by hippyhappy, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Hi, I am a supply teacher who has long term work at a school, doing PPA cover work in foundation and year one. The school has netbooks and occasionally I can book iPads for the classes. Problem is that I am completely out of the loop as far as ICT is concerned. I've looked at the QCA sow but it feels so dated - are people even using it any more? I will be talking to the ICT coordinator next week to see what they want me to do but are there any exciting schemes of work out there that I could perhaps take to her and say, look I think this is more relevant/creative for the children since the vast majority of them are very computer literate anyway?

2. Hi
    You will get a number of different opinions about teaching ICT to Reception/Year 1; my own is that if you 'teach' it at all, you would be focusing on the obvious basics. How to use a keyboard, mouse, and what happens when I launch this program twenty times in quick succession [​IMG]
    At my school (EY+KS1), we don't use a SOW as such, we've made our own list of the things these children need to know before they move on to KS2; and that changes year on year!
    Possibly speak with the Year 2 teachers and ask them what they need to be able to do with ICT when they arrive in Year 2.
    Failing that, here is a link to the Herefordshire (Grid for Learning), who have such a SOW that you might glean some info from; but it needs to be tailored to your children's/schools needs.
    http://www.thegrid.org.uk/learning/ict/ks1-2/scheme/
    Kind Regard

3. Just recommended this to another poster but rising stars switched on to ict is very good http://www.risingstars-uk.com/series/switched-on-ict/?offset=all we are actually doing something similar to previous poster and focusing on key skills needed for that year but as ict coordinator I have ensured progression throughout these skills and children developing autonomy etc. In reception we use beebots, dig cameras, laptops - purplemash and paint programs mainly, iwb for content creation and remote control toys.

4. Thank you for your help. I will def talk to year 2 teachers as well as the coordinator.