1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching hours?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by shaia, Sep 18, 2019.

1. shaia

shaia New commenter

Hi,

I have had a few years out and am now thinking of going back to teaching,

I'm trying to remember what the workload was like - can someone tell me how many hours per week a secondary teacher would be timetabled for?

thanks

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The timetabled week will tell you nothing about the workload!
    The timetable is possibly only as much as a quarter or half of the working week.

drvs likes this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

A report out this week shows a quarter of teachers working 60 hours plus a week, so that should give you an idea. The same report suggests this hasn't actually changed that much over 20 years.

4. shaia

shaia New commenter

yes, I do remember that the work in the classroom is only the beginning of the workload, but I would appreciate knowing roughly how many hours per week are in the classroom.
    thanks

5. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

It depends. In my secondary school my timetable is 21 hours teaching a week full-time, with two twenty minute duties each week. In a SEN MAT where I used to work it was 23 and a half hours a week with break and lunch duty every day. When I did primary supply it was 23 and a half hours a week.

You also have to factor in meetings before and after school and these vary widely from school to school.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How long is a piece of string