1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Hockey - haven't a clue!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Giggleswick, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Got to teach Hockey skills to upper KS2 children. Have got some lesson plans to work from but they are not very good at the basic skills and assume the teacher knows how to play hockey. Unfortunately I don't. I know how to hold a hockey stick and that s about it. Could anyone tell me what the basic are please??

2. Got to teach Hockey skills to upper KS2 children. Have got some lesson plans to work from but they are not very good at the basic skills and assume the teacher knows how to play hockey. Unfortunately I don't. I know how to hold a hockey stick and that s about it. Could anyone tell me what the basic are please??

3. While my hockey skills ain't great i just used a lot of my football coaching experience and drills

basic rules are - no offside, can't hit the ball with the back of your stick, the ball can not touch someones foot and that is really as much as KS2 need i would of thought.

Few games for KS2 here (ok they say for soccer but can easily be used for hockey)

http://publishing.yudu.com/Aonhz/sept08/

4. Spend a bit of time encouraging them to use the right position with the stick - bent knees, straightish back, head up as much as possible. There are lots of games you can do eg Dribble tag - All have a ball apart from 2, have to dribble their ball in area, 2 without ball/stick try to tag the rest, when tagged they become taggers too. Lots of variations on this too. Also games where they have to collect a ball and bring it back from various places. The key to good control is the placement of the bottom hand on the stick (it should be at about the end of the grip if you are using proper sticks) - the lower down it is the more control they will have. Lots will tyr and use only one hand or hands too close togetehr.

Stick with simple puss passing for a long time or you will have sticks flying everywhere and if you do tackling with them, make sure they are using flat stick tackles (ie with the stick flat on the floor and still) to make it as safe as possible.

Do lots of small sided games, 3v3 (with a no tackle rule?) , 1v1s in a small channel, relay races dribbling around cones and passing etc.... my kids (altough a bit older) love to try some tricks (ie bouncing the ball on the stick in the air etc) we practice for a few minutes each week and have a competition of people who want to show what they can do.

Unfortunatley some kids will always not get on with hockey but if you can help them to feel like they have some control over the stick/ball right from the start its likely youl have a lot more chance of succeeding! Hope thats of some help, if you want any more ideas please let me know

5. This is really helpful and just what I needed thanks! Not sure I understand the tackling bit though - if the stick is flat on the floor and still how do they 'tackle?' Sorry if this is a stupid question!

6. No problem, not a stupid question if youve never played before! All that is involved in a flat stick tackle is meeting the player who is trying to attack and laying the stick flat (hook pointing up) infront of where they are trying to go. At beginner level, most of them will just run the ball straight into the flat stick and then the defender then has possession of the ball. The more able pupils may be able to move the ball at a different angle to go round the flat stick. The main things to focus on when teaching this are picking the right moment to put the stick down, too early and the attacker will just chose a different direction and go round the defender, too late and the ball will just go under the stick. Teach them to be patient and wait to see what the attacker will do before they commmit. Also make sure they get low and the stick is strong with a low right hand. There is another type of tackle called the jab tackle, where it is not flat on the floor but I have found teaching that early on isnt very successful and encourages sticks to fly around much more, with more chance of accidents. Sorry lots of stuff I know, hope im not confusing you! Any more questions, let me know

7. Thanks again will be trying this out in the next lesson - feel a bit more confident now!

8. And so do I in the same position..all comments helped me!

9. have a look at the resources section of TES online.
    There are some good explanantions of skills and the game. Especially the army resources on different sport.
    Just type in hockey and see what you get.
    Good luck