1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching HLTA Pay Dilema...

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Amy1986, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Amy1986

Amy1986 New commenter

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice!
    I am an HLTA and have been at my current school since Sept 2014. I am paid HLTA wage for all of my 35 hours which I understand is not the norm.
    However... from this September I have my own class of 10. These children are all very low ability and have various SENs. I plan, deliver and mark for these children, as well as carrying out assessments (Maths and Literacy). I am thoroughly enjoying my new role, and the school wants me to carry out teacher training starting in Sept 2017.
    I am wondering whether I should ask for a pay rise between now and starting my teacher training!
    Is anyone else in the same boat?

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

September 2017 is a long time away, are you expected to teach for 2 years while getting paid as an HLTA?

I worked as a TA before I did my student teacher year (School Direct Salaried). When I was a TA, my teacher left the school in the Spring 1 term and a new teacher was appointed for after half term. There were 2 weeks of gap in which I planned, delivered and assessed and basically acted as the teacher. For those 2 weeks I got paid as an unqualified teacher.
    At the time the school explained to me that if there would have been planning and I just had to deliver the lessons I would have been paid as a TA. Since I was doing the work of a teacher, I was getting paid as a teacher and I also got PPA time.

This was a temporary measure though, I know the school wanted me to teach the rest of the year as well but that wasn't possible because I was not qualified. On the other hand, during my training year I met quite a lot of student teachers who had their own classes and even already had their own classes when they were still a TA. I believe they were still getting paid as TAs though but it never hurts to ask for a pay rise in my opinion.

Amy1986 likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Do you have full responsibility for your class of 10? From what you have said it sounds like you teach them for maths and literacy - do you liaise with the class teacher, or are you in sole charge of what to plan and teach them? When do you do your planning - are you given some non-contact time, or do you do it at home?

I would definitely consider asking to begin teacher training in September 2016.

Amy1986 likes this.
  4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I agree. You'll need to get your skates on - application season is now. Sounds like the school are doing things on the cheap and taking advantage of your goodwill with the carrot that they will 'let you' do teacher training from September 2017. The decision when to start teacher training is your's! I assume you plan to do the schools direct salaried route - which is notoriously difficult to get a place on. You might want to weigh up other options if you already have a degree.

I would also be concerned about your protection against any allegations that could be made against you - unlikely but not unheard of. Have you joined a union?

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

If this was happening in maintained schools (not academies or free schools) then the schools were not only denying pupils their right to be taught by a qualified teacher they were also in breach of DfE rules: only qualified teachers with QTS may plan and deliver lessons on a regular basis in maintained schools. HLTAs may do so under the direction of a qualified teacher.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  6. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

You are right, these schools were in breach of the rules. They get away with it though because school direct students are given guidelines on how much they should be teaching, but at the end of the day it's at the discretion of the school. So yes, I know several people who had their own classes from day 1, full time. There was a mentor who on paper at kept an eye on them, but in reality the mentors would be busy with their own classes so at the most would pop in once a week. The schools were all good or outstanding and maintained schools. Some of them SEN, not all of them.
    I think it's one of the problems with the SD route, especially the paid one. A lot of student teachers are used as cheap cover.

As for TAs covering... I have the idea that it happens more frequently in SEN schools because it's almost impossible for a supply teacher to teach a SEN class. We used to have agency supply teachers in before (not anymore, now it's by default an HLTA because of budget cuts) but often they would act as the TA while a TA would lead the sessions. It's not right, but I think it's common practice and in a way, especially for a short time, in the best interest of the children as well.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Amy - how nice that the school has so much confidence in you!

You could look up the unqualified teachers payscale and see if there's much difference. But there is still the issue of whether you should be doing this . . .

Best wishes

8. Amy1986

Amy1986 New commenter

Thank you for your replies!
    Whilst I liaise with the various class teachers, the planning is pretty much down to me! I have basically been given free reign to go off curriculum, but I try to plan alongside what the other classes are doing as I believe this is important.
    You're right TheGriff - it is lovely to think that the school has confidence in me and I am thoroughly enjoying the role. I just don't want to be taken advantage of!
    I have PPA one afternoon - but am expected to plan interventions for all other afternoons as well as teaching other classes when the teacher is absent. I was also photocopying work for the whole year group during my PPA, but my line manager has put an end to that!
    Of course I am free to apply for teacher training off my own back, but I would like to stay at my current school, which has been made in to a teaching school recently.
    Thanks again for all the comments!