1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching history without a history degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by mrswims, Sep 5, 2016.

1. mrswims

mrswims New commenter

Is this doable at all through any of the routes into teaching?

I've got a business studies related degree which I do believe restricts me to teaching either business studies or a subject with a skills enhancement course available. I really do want to get into teaching but in an ideal world I'd like to teach history, I'm just doubtful as to wether it's possible unless I spend thousands of pounds and hours on another degree which to be honest I don't have the funds or time to do.

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

In theory there is nothing to stop you. I have doubts that you would get a teacher training place though. I suppose it depends on the context a bit. If you said you had an A at history A level it may make a difference. Getting a job s another problem. A lot of schools- me included- probably wouldn't shortlist you on paper, sorry.

Whilst recruitment and retention is down across all subjects - apart from Art and PE really, History isn't Physics. I wonder what the chance is really.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

There is more to being a qualified teacher than QTS.

4. mrswims

mrswims New commenter

I know. But if what I want to do is a bit of a non-starter I need to rethink don't I?!

5. mrswims

mrswims New commenter

I'm already working in a school in a non-teaching role, I was thinking if I could get some experience as an unqualified history teacher it may put me in a better position.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

This is my point.

You have no history degree and no teaching qualification; you will not find employment as a history teacher. The way to progress to history teaching is to first get a history degree.

Flere-Imsaho and DYNAMO67 like this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

As someone who recruits history grads to a large PG course I can tell you there are far more history graduates than there are jobs and places for history teachers. But business... Did it have some statistics in it? Have a thought about maths. With an A level and a SKE course you might get in. They are really struggling to recruit maths teachers everywhere.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. prettyteacups

prettyteacups New commenter

I'm a history teacher and my degree was International Relations, i do not have a history A level either (Politics).
    I got on my PGCE a few years ago after a couple of rejections from school direct/Teach First stating that my degree wasn't historical enough. I re-applied the next year to other Universities and made clear on my application how my degree/ALevel were applicable to the national curriculum. I got offers from all 3 and i am very happy as a lead history teacher now!

You could go down the route of getting experience in the history classroom first a a TA/Cover. I found that invaluable, and it gives you a much clearer picture of what it means to teach history.

Hope it goes well for you!

9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think international relations is going to be much more palatable to an admissions tutor than business studies though...don't take false hope from this

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  10. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Get real!!

History is one of those subjects where many, many teachers (with History degrees) chase every one of the few vacancies that pop up in schools. (Over 60 applications for the history job at our place last term.) Why would anyone shortlist your application, because you 'want to get into' History, over others who are actually highly qualified in the subject and have demonstrated commitment to it?

Get a job teaching BS ( that's Business Studies, not Bull Sh it, ha ha, ha ha, ha), study for a history degree part-time and badger your school to give you a few hours a week teaching history after you have been there a few years.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

There used to be conversion courses for some subjects-worth looking into? Some of the best teachers don't have a degree in their subjects, but lots of employers won't look beyond the Essentials/Desirables these days.

pepper5 likes this.