1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching History with a French PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by johnst131, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I have a 2.1 degree in French and History and was just wondering if it is possible to study for a French PGCE and still be allowed apply for/teach History later in my career?
    I have applied to do a History PGCE but am finding that courses across the country are filling up very quickly even though I have alot of experience including Student Associate Scheme, tefl in France and working currently as a Learning Support Assistant in a Grammar School in Manchester.
    The French courses on the other hand all appear to have vacancies and would be perhaps easier to get on to in the current climate.
    Would the French PGCE be recognised by schools for History?

Any information would be really useful

2. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Once you get through the PGCE course you're qualified to teach any subject, so technically you'd have to convince schools that you're just as good at teaching history as history NQTs. As a current PGCE history trainee, I'm looking for history vacancies and finding them few and far between, so the market for history teachers is already pretty tough.
    I'd say you might be better off doing French, then offering history as a second subject when you do get your first post.

3. As i understand it, it's the QTS that allows you to teach. You can, technically, teach any subject. But you would have to work bleeding hard at interview to convince the panel that you could teach anther subject. French and History seem to be a strange mix. Also I've heard MFL jobs are hard to come by, and applicants are often expected to have more than one language. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear/isn't very helpful.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Gaining QTS allows you to teach full stop it is not specific to subject or phase. It really depends upon convincing an interviewer that you are up to the job. Interestingly, nationally a larger proportion of History than MFL NQTs gained employment last year. Mr Gove may even bring in more history!- wish he was history