1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching has finally broke me..

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BurntOutTeacher35, Jan 23, 2019.

1. BurntOutTeacher35

BurntOutTeacher35 New commenter

Sorry to hear you're having s rough time also. Reading these threads there are, unfortunately, lots of us!

When I was first signed off I was just determined I was going to control my body with brute force and get back to it after two weeks signed off with WRS. I didn't see (and still don't to some extent) how ill I was. I remember conversions with my GP with me saying I think I'm doing better and her saying she thinks I'm worse! In hindsight maybe I should have stayed off longer initially but the process of attempting to go back made me realise I needed more help.

I am well atm and I still intend to hand my notice in to go this year but glad I waited until I was thinking clearly again. It was good going into school last week (a few hours a day, no teaching) so I've got some kind of closure - not just been signed off never ti return!

I know teaching will make me ill again and I plan to go see my GP before going back to write some conditions of work (i.e. no teaching). I want to be of some use during my last term of teaching but my main priority is to stay healthy. I was suppose to have a meeting with school last week followed up by a phone appointment with occupational health.. neither happened!

I had no guilt being signed off the second time (5 weeks in total and GP would have given me more). My partner noticed how much happier I am. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders!

I am exciting about my future...even though I'll be handing my notice in with no job to go to! I know I'm lucky to be able to do this as my partner can support us with some cutbacks.

As many have said to me, take the time to heal. Be good to yourself. I started with the simple things, getting up in the morning, getting dressed and having three meals a day. After the first two weeks I then went shopping, did lots of walking, gardening, met friends for lunch and even had a spa day! Then when you're ready you can start thinking about work again!

Lara mfl 05, agathamorse and dunnocks like this.
  2. BurntOutTeacher35

So I now have a sick note covering me until Aug 31st saying I'm fit for work but only for admin duty...I'll see how that goes down next week! If they can't or won't accommodate that then I'll be off until then instead.

I'm still so happy I'm going! Didn't realise the huge impact my job had been having on my health until it finally broke me!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. BurntOutTeacher35

So I now have a sick note covering me until Aug 31st saying I'm fit for work but only for admin duty...I'll see how that goes down next week! If they can't or won't accommodate that then I'll be off until then instead.

I'm still so happy I'm going! Didn't realise the huge impact my job had been having on my health until it finally broke me!

grumpydogwoman and agathamorse like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There is certainly enough admin work in teaching for you to be there and take on other people's admin for a term... whether that will be a good idea within any school is debatable. It will set all kinds of cats among various pigeons, so don't take it personally if the school says no.

5. BurntOutTeacher35

Thanks. I won't take it personally just trying to be of some help until I leave for good. If that's no good for them then I will just be off properly until I leave!

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  6. BurntOutTeacher35

Notice handed in and currently waiting on schools response to current fit for work note...

agathamorse, Bobbbs and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Millionsandmillions

Millionsandmillions New commenter

Have you considered teaching overseas? I'm working for an international school in Norway full of previously burnt-out brits who have managed to reignite their love of teaching in a setting with where teachers have true protected working time, a skills based curriculum with freedom to inquire into what is interesting and no pointless marking or Ofsted boxticking nonsense. My school isn't recruiting but I know those who are and I'd be happy to chat if you'd like to know more.

8. BurntOutTeacher35

After another meeting it has been agreed I will do admin work only for the remainder of my time. My job advert has gone out already :D

I've had loads of staff come up to me and say they are envious or jealous 8m leaving, ask me to take them with me, call me a lucky cow! TAs have snuck up
    and hugged me saying how sorry they are I'm leaving but completely understand why. So many lovely comments about what a great eacher I am and how sorry people are to see me go. So nice to hear but also no regrets at all for handing my notice.

Really enjoying being in work without the teaching!

9. BurntOutTeacher35

Thank you so much for the offer but teaching overseas is not an option for me with my commitments here atm.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. leo07

leo07 New commenter

Huge well done for handing in your notice. Hope you manage ok until the end of term.

I too have handed my notice in (posted on here a while ago) and feel so much relief now it’s done!! My only problem is that I don’t have a job to go to, and I need one!

No idea what to do or where to go from here but I’m so so pleased I only have just over half a term to go.

11. BurntOutTeacher35

When I was looking I found lots of great threads about jobs others have gone to:

https://community.tes.com/threads/ex-teachers-what-do-you-do-now.764053/

https://community.tes.com/threads/where-did-you-go-leaving-teaching.781616/

https://community.tes.com/threads/d...one-changed-careers-and-left-teaching.750304/

My subject is maths so I looked at tutoring/college/supply/online tutoring...but ultimately decided i wanted a complete change! I did see some teacher resource websites looking to hire people to create resources a few months ago but can't remember the name for the life of me!

There are recruitment agencies out there who specifically deal with ex-teachers

I've looked into data handling/analysis type jobs with my maths background and I have some experience of this - if I choose to pursue this at a later date I need to get some short courses done as proof I know stuff!

I found there were a lot of admin roles available at universities e.g. student recruitment/outreach programs/teaching the UK way of life to foreign students. Pay wasn't great though.

A colleague of mine is hosting exchange students who said they like teachers and ex-teachers to host and pay about £600 a week per student!

I also thought about volunteering to get experience during the summer hols.

ATM I'm looking at starting a business (risky I know!)

Hope some of this is useful!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. leo07

leo07 New commenter

This is so useful, thank you!

I’ll have a look through all of you suggested.

It’s great to know there’s other options, I’m starting to feel a bit less institutionalised!

Good luck with setting up your own business!

13. BurntOutTeacher35

Said I'd keep updating but not much more to add. On admin work until the end and feel better than ever! Interviews for my job a week Monday, no regrets at all handing notice in.