1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching has finally broke me..

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BurntOutTeacher35, Jan 23, 2019.

1. BurntOutTeacher35

BurntOutTeacher35 New commenter

Perhaps have a close look at your finances and work out the minimum you need.

Being a teacher requires so many skills so don't put yourself down by saying you have "no other skills than teaching"

A short list (I'm sure I will add to when I get down to to really thinking about it)

- Amazing verbal and written communication skills
    - Excellent critical thinking skills ( as teaching we solve a wide variety of problems daily, thinking on our feet to tight deadlines)
    - Organisational skills and time management
    - We must be a very patience bunch, remaining calm and professional at all times
    - Team Player - Work with a variety of people on a daily basis, kids, other staff, parents, agencies,
    - Our actual subject knowledge

I'm sure there are loads more....I come back to my list!

Agreed. You are a wonderful bunch and I hope that in updating my journey will help others who, unfortunately, find themselves in the same situation.

Yes, what do you do?!?!

Don't let fear hold you back. I've been imaging a job where I don't do any extra work outside of it and the though alone has made me happy. I even looked at resignation dates and counting how many weeks it would be in work until the April or August Leaving dates...the though of only x amount of weeks left teaching it exciting.

There is no harm it getting your CV updated and to start looking whilst remaining in the security of your current job. I'm sure we could help you brain storm ideas.

Great to hear you are happy. What do you do now?

How did you decide on embalming?!? As a teenager I wanted to do some aspect of clinical pathology -influence of the x-files!

Finally figured I can quote all in one post :D

2. maria66

maria66 New commenter

Hi,
    I too was signed off yesterday with stress and anxiety - there is some excellent support and information on here. Two years I have fought the demons and challenges thrown at me as I thought going to the Dr and having time off was weak. However, I am now aware it is the strongest thing you can do as my poor family have suffered as much as I have. The expectations on teachers are totally unreasonable and ruling with fear is unfair. Thank goodness for the TES community.

5200ha, hfromh, stonerose and 4 others like this.
  3. alan1

alan1 New commenter

a long story...but ultimately I think to be able to work in a profession where your work is appreciated more and embalming was the only way into it as to become a funeral director or funeral assistant you have to be working in a funeral home already before you can do those qualifications.

4. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

It's a big yet positive step an's we are here with you all the way.
    Take care and keep in touch.
    Curae

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

This is a much more upbeat post than your OP and you have a plan for the future. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I quite agree, being 'just a teacher' involves so many skills that employers look for in a prospective employee. Perhaps some of your more important skills are to be able to think on your feet, to be adaptable, flexible and implement things. Teachers just get things done.

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The effects of stress and work pressures undoubtedly take their toll on the person's loved ones. Parents would do anything to protect their children from physical harm even to the extent of sacrificing themselves but yet some teachers may be harming their own children by the priority they give to other peoples'. You have realised this, good.

As I've said on other threads, family time sacrificed to work is time that you're never going to get back. Will it be worth it when your children are older and they say that they would have loved to have done so many things with you and spent time together but you were always too busy working or too stressed to enjoy that precious time?

8. BurntOutTeacher35

I'm sorry to here you are in a similar situation. I too thought (and still do to a bit) that going to the doctors and having time off I would/will be seen as weak. I am not a weak person. I have had excellent feedback from lesson observations and book scrutiny and know I am a valued member of the department...which will mark it harder to leave.

It's amazing actually planning my exit from teaching and thinking of all the benefits of doing so has lifted my mood!

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

But how many skills do you use when teaching?
    OK you probably won't jump from teaching to playing soccer in the Premiership, doing operations at your local hospital or fronting up next weeks top 20 band.
    @BurntOutTeacher35 has given a pretty good list of the skills most teachers have. It is unlikely that you will jump straight from teaching to a high paid job, but you have organisation skills, you can learn, you can interact with people.
    The big jump is shifting yourself somewhere else and learning a different working culture before you can move.
    Good luck

10. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

At one time, after 10 years at the Chalk-face, most Teachers had "earned and deserved strong respect" in this so-called "profession" by their peers and the majority of pupils until...
    Ofsted / League Tables / Academies/ Accountability/ Gove and other political idiots messed it up.
    We now have a "robotic, teach by numbers" approach to Education in the UK with young cheap "yes men and women" greasing to some awful SLT Types and clipboarders.

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's the thought of moving on to a brighter future and the frisson of not knowing what exactly what the future holds. You say you are a valued member of your department and I have no doubt that you are but this is your life and you only have one shot at it. Your loyalty is to your future and your family.

Your colleagues will understand the pressure you are under and may well be feeling the same as you. I'm sure that you leave with their best wishes and perhaps a little envy that they're not getting out as well. In a few years your colleagues may well have moved on or retired and you will be vaguely remembered by other staff as the man/lady who worked in such and such department if you are remembered at all. No one is indispensable in schools.

12. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear of your dilemma, hope you can sort things out, however, you have already made a significant contribution, therefore, make sure you are ready to make a positive decision from your perspective.
    It is time teachers, management and inspectors worked together; it's a disgrace what teachers are subjected to these days!
    The country are going to loose big time if our teachers are not valued and respected.
    Hope every thing works out for you.

13. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

After increasing amounts of anxiety and stress from my teaching role (despite enjoying many aspects of it) over 10 years of teaching, I decided to skip the country and move into international teaching. I still loved teaching and I couldn't think of another job I'd enjoy which I already had the skills and qualifications for and which wouldn't mean either a massive pay cut or similar hours and difficult conditions as teaching, and I'd always intended to spend time living abroad at some stage, so it was the right moment to do it. My final year of teaching in the UK after having decided to do this (I secured a job in an international school in the November, so for most of that academic year I knew I was going) just confirmed that I was doing the right thing!

I knew I was very stressed and anxious in the UK, but I hadn't realised how much until I got out of that environment. I can honestly say that it took me over a year and a half to get over it - anxiety had just become ingrained in me. I was completely burnt out by the time I arrived at my new job (and it didn't help that I'd finished my job in the UK and set off to my new country only a week later!) and in my first year in my new school, I was constantly anxious about everything and the slightest mention of anything resembling monitoring or observation sent me into a panic, despite the school being generally supportive to its staff. In fact it almost led to me failing my probation period, which had two observations and a work scrutiny, because I completely went to pieces for the observations and made a total mess of the lessons. I was fortunately able to have a very honest and open conversation with the headteacher, in which I cried and shook while I explained how anxious the observations had made me feel, and he agreed to extend my probation period and came up with a plan for monitoring my teaching that was satisfactory to them but less stressful for me. Looking back, I can't believe how I managed to function for so many years under the level of stress I had every day in the UK - it's only since leaving that I can look back and see how it was even worse than I'd thought at the time. I said this to my husband and he was like "yeah, no s*** - I've been saying that to you for years!"

I could never go back to teaching in the UK now - it makes me anxious just thinking about it. I really hope that all of you teachers who feel like I did manage to find something that makes you happier and less stressed, whether it's a teaching-related role or something completely different.

ela_giano, Scooby_786, hfromh and 6 others like this.
  14. leo07

leo07 New commenter

Hi, first time I’ve posted. I came on here because I too, am burnt out. And weirdly I’ve been teaching for 10 years - I had no idea about the 10 year burn out! Anyway, I’ve been unhappy the last year, tried a completely different school in the hope I’d love teaching again but that didn’t work. I’ve now moved to another school, on the SLT now, first leadership role, and even more unhappy!

I’ve no idea how to quote posts but love someone’s post about how your own family must take priority. This rings so true with me.

I’m done with teaching which I’m gutted about as I used to love it.

My question is, what other jobs do ex teachers go on to do? I feel so institutionalised! Before I taught I was a nursery nurse, then a TA. All I know is education!

15. Apple76

Apple76 New commenter

There are so many things you could do - we really undervalue ourselves as teachers and how much we balance and achieve every day.

NHS jobs. Lots of admin posts available. You’d take a pay cut I’m sure but you can work your way up again pretty quickly.

Civil service - lots of opportunities there

Virtual schools - all sorts of good posts

16. BurntOutTeacher35

Been trying to relax for the past few days. I'll have a few hours where I've managed to distract myself but still spend a lot of time worrying about going back to work. I have made the decision to be productive in my hunt for a new job I'm going to get into applying for new jobs tomorrow (spending time with the family today).

I've had a quick look and there are lots of opportunities for tutoring and teaching online classes. Administration jobs have come up a lot. I'll look into jobs with the NHS and civil services , thanks apple76 for the suggestions.

Leo07, I know what you mean! It does feel like I'm stuck in education but I am determined to get out!

leo07, stonerose, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've always wanted to go and teach in the little educational establishments they have in major hospitals.

I've felt a bit less motivated recently - but I only have a few years left to retirement and I reckon I can do that.

But I started thinking about other things a couple of years ago and have a couple of "exta" gigs that I'm hoping to develop further.

mothergoose2013 and agathamorse like this.
  18. HamiltonGrady

HamiltonGrady New commenter

19. HamiltonGrady

HamiltonGrady New commenter

20. After 18 years of teaching, I now find myself in a bit of a pickle.
    Teaching which I do love, has made me ill.
    The issues started two years ago, so I stepped down from my TLR post, and the issues became so bad, that eventually came to a head in October. I basically had a breakdown, as the physical symptoms became too much for me to handle, along with the workload, constant criticism and the behaviour of the children and some of their parents, not to mention the backbiting and backstabbing that was done by the staff.
    Eventually, I broke, I became so anxious about work, that it would take me 15 minutes to pluck up the courage to leave the house and then another 30minutes sat in the car willing myself to get out, this also meant that I was having to get up an hour earlier to allow for this, so lack of sleep also became a factor. Then I started to have panic attacks at the thought of having to go to work, the fear of standing in front of upto 33 children for 5 hours on some days and making a fool of myself became too much and I was signed off by the Dr.
    Some of my colleagues, once I’d been signed off for four weeks, started to come out of the wood work and have been complaining about me in anyway possible, especially my behaviour since September (which hasn’t been my best but it was the best I could manage at the time). This has lead to the union being contacted and told that upon my return, which will need to be okeyd by OH, I will receive a written warning as more than one person has complained about the same thing.
    This filled me with even more dread at the prospect of returning to a department that obviously doesn’t want me, especially with the alterations that the school will need to make for me to return.
    I am attending attending a councillor for help with my anxiety and have been prescribed everything possible by the Dr, leaving the house on my own is a real struggle and the longest I’ve managed has been about 90 min before the panic begins and I have to ring the other half or parents to get them to talk me around, which when I’m sat at home feels completely stupid.
    I am sitting here wondering what the hell I am going to do! Money is tight anyway, so changing careers or reducing my hours will cause real hardship.
    I’ve looked at doing stuff on line, like teaching, tutoring or exam marking, but they have all asked for a reference from my current employer, who isn’t very good at doing them on time or in a nice way, even when you are a model teacher (several have had their offers withdrawn because of his failure to answer, or by what he has said).
    I feel trapped by circumstance, I know my health is important, but so is ensuring that my children have a roof over their heads, are warm, clean and clothed, as well as fed in both mind and body.
    I really wish that someone had not suggested and then decided to put me forward to do teacher training and had just let me stay a TA, but I was told my talents and ability would be wasted and I believed them!
    No one tells trainees what it is really like now, gone are the days of tick and flick, in at 8am and home by 4pm, going for a drink after work to celebrate something or simply because it’s a Thursday, that if you have done everything possible to help a child and they fail it isn’t your fault, or been able to ensure that you spend an hour sitting and talking with the other half or even something like falling asleep with your child because they feel unwell, isn’t possible because you have so much to do.
    That generally if your partner is not a teacher that they will hate the fact you work at home, can’t go out at the drop of a hat and holidays have to be taken in the school holidays (this was before school aged children) so cost more, and can in some situations cause them to find companionship elsewhere and lead to a messy divorce, hence the money issues.
    I laugh at the come and be a teacher ads and wonder if they can be charged with failing to meet trading standards, because what they tell you and show you is generally a lie!