1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Halloween in church schools?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by babyfrench, Oct 20, 2015.

1. babyfrench

babyfrench New commenter

Hi there. I've almost completed my first half term teaching French to Years 2-6 and after school (years 1-4). At my after-school club today, we did a special lesson on Halloween, learning some of the French vocab for this topic while incorporating greetings into a role-play of 'farces ou bonbons' and practising our counting. The children got to choose from a variety of dressing-up. One child pointed out to me that she is a Christian and doesn't celebrate Halloween. I must admit, I hadn't considered this before and now I am worried that I may have caused offence to her family (who pay for the club). I would like some advice please as I am due to take the same lesson plan to my KS2 lot tomorrow (and it's a church school!). Anyone know what the consensus is on teaching Halloween in church schools?? TIA!

2. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Does she celebrate Christmas? If so, she is also celebrating Pagan (all the green stuff) and Roman (the gift-giving) festivals as well as the actual Christian Jesus stuff. Why not put that to her? Halloween is a load of American nonsense anyway, that we can well do without, like Black Friday.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It does not cause offence to people for their children to learn about something they themselves do not celebrate. During their time at your school the children in your classes are likely to learn about a variety of festivals celebrated in different cultures and faiths (eg. Divali, Christmas, Chinese New Year). It doesn't matter whether you yourself celebrate - you can still learn about what other people do. The same is true for Halloween. I don't think there is a general consensus about whether or not church schools do anything about Halloween, although they are unlikely to actually do anything to celebrate, and would tend to focus on Christian festivals like Harvest.

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

It might be more interesting to look at the old Celtic traditions associated with this date and to see how they have been "converted" into Haloween.

5. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Do you talk about how the French celebrate Toussaint? That would make it completely legitimate and also Christian.

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Good grief! Really? Has education become so touchy-feely now that you have to worry to this extent that you may be causing offence all the time? Everyone can find something to be offended about. How about the atheists? Should they not be offended that talk of anything religious is going on? Ah, how I long for the good, old days of the great CCCP!

If you're that worried, do a lesson on fruit, or something. Might offend the overweight kids though, so...