1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching GCSE Religious Studies Philosophy and Ethics - which board?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by lam, Sep 1, 2011.

1. lam

lam

I teach at a FE college and for the first time we will be running GCSE Religious Studies. I want to study philosophy and ethics as that is what we teach at 'A' level (we do EDEXCEL board) so there is good progression.
    The other thing is that students will be resitting GCSEs, so they will all be 16 years + and there because GCSEs did not go well the first time. So it needs to be quite straightforward in the skills and the marking.
    Any recommendations for a good course...?

2. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

OCR has complex evaluation questions that are good for A-Level progression, however I wouldn't recommend this if students have already found GCSEs difficult. Probably AQA (Specification B) or Edexcel.

3. lam

lam

Thanks...

we ended up going with OCR in the end because it allowed us to do january exams, so if students leave after January they will still get a shortcourse GCSE.

We also like the philosophy and ethics (B) as it tied in nicely with the AS.

I am worried about OCR though. I have heard their marking can be dodgy. Fingers crossed though.