1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching GCSE History tips string

Discussion in 'History' started by imateachertoo, May 27, 2008.

1. Thanks WD some very useful tips.

2. Thanx WD, this is a pretty big list, I'll have to think carefully to add to it!

I sometimes use living tablaux for picture sources (ie get the kids to take the places of the people in the source) This can get deeper thought about what's going on in the source and can lead into written anaysis.

For revision of overview topics (eg Med thro Time) I do groups, sugar paper and felts and create massive graphs ( eg to show progress / regress across time). Kids annotate and present their graphs.

Important topics, I get pairs on computers, creating their own power points, they present on IWB to peers, therefore the info is given over and over!!

3. That's a fabulous list which I will shortly be stealing from - thank you! At present I do a lot of modelling and peer assessment. Sometimes I give them mark schemes and ask them to mark themselves and offer criticisms of others. We sometimes take a single source (doesn't matter what it is, sometimes I'll use that day's paper) and spend a lesson establishing what it is and why it was produced (bias, propaganda, all the usual stuff).

4. All very pertinent to your setting, but still rather a depressing read as an indictment of the current system isn't it?

Did anyone actually become a history teacher to do stuf like this?

1. select some really good coursework for the 25% of the grade that this equals. Then make sure you teach it sympathetically and with plenty of class time for pupils to devlop their work.

2. Use connectives endlessly-every lesson-get kids used to using words like 'because' 'also' 'for example'

12. Get pupils to make board games of important parts of the course

I hate GCSE with a passion. It's just an exam-passing game. It's too bad that the public examination system has become so ludicrously facile.

5. Thank you for these.. really useful :)

6. WD

WD New commenter

points 1-31 largely encapsulate how I teach from y7 onwards (I left out student voice and peer work though). So yes I did come into teaching to teach stuff like board games etc-it's fun and helps kids enjoy their lessons,learn, and achieve.

7. WD

WD New commenter

up for additions by others!

8. WD

WD New commenter

up for 'Our kid'

9. WD

WD New commenter

Thought I'd 'up' this strip for any newbies.

10. These are great tips WD - thank you!

I'm afraid my question is very off-topic...is there anyone that teaches a thematic course? If so, do you have any tips for helping students 'get into' the content? We do a Germany outline in political/economic, social etc and it comes together well, but pupils find political changes difficult without the social as you can appreciate. Seems a shame that due to the exam format it would also be difficult to teach all themes through chronologically and then separate them out! muddy

11. Thank you. It's nice to have some motivational thoughts. Sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees!

12. WD

WD New commenter

Upped annually for new colleagues.

13. WD

WD New commenter

up for new colleagues

14. A great list, thank you!

15. WD

WD New commenter

up for new colleagues

16. This is an awesome list.
    You could also add - create a dept website where they can access extra papers. extra homeworks, and such like.
    Please feel free to check out historyatmarlwood.co.uk for any example - I am proud of it!!

17. Log any classroom activities that you do that worked well.

These can then be tweaked in future. I have a huge bank of these. I dont want to be marketing here so I wont say what my website is. But you could follow me on twitter if you wish - search Tolo Taylor - there is only one of me!

18. What an unbelievably, crushingly dull list of boring techniques. My students just love History and write great answers as they love the subject. They'd hate all that. What a bore.

19. WD

WD New commenter

1. It was a list for teachers to use, and up to them how dynamic they make it.
    2. Congratulations on, no doubt having 100% take up from your lessons at KS4 and 100% A*

Worrying that you value writing great answers as a showing a love of History. But hey ho where would life be without trolls.