1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching GCSE Chinese

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by borisoe, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hello, I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on the following. Last summer I completed a PGCE in History as this was the subject I studied at University. Although I enjoy it, in the longer term I would prefer to teach GCSE Chinese as I'm fluent in the language, currently living in China and plan to be back in the UK soon to get my QTS status.
    Can I teach a MFL (Chinese) without a PGCE in MFL?
    Can I teach without even a GCSE or A-Level in Chinese, despite being fluent?
    I'm assuming it's not a particularly common subject, so is it even feasible to teach Chinese and History, and would I have to wait a few years to get more general teaching experience before trying to introduce Chinese as a new subject in a school?
    Any advice, no matter how vague, would be most welcome!
    Thanks

2. Hello, I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on the following. Last summer I completed a PGCE in History as this was the subject I studied at University. Although I enjoy it, in the longer term I would prefer to teach GCSE Chinese as I'm fluent in the language, currently living in China and plan to be back in the UK soon to get my QTS status.
    Can I teach a MFL (Chinese) without a PGCE in MFL?
    Can I teach without even a GCSE or A-Level in Chinese, despite being fluent?
    I'm assuming it's not a particularly common subject, so is it even feasible to teach Chinese and History, and would I have to wait a few years to get more general teaching experience before trying to introduce Chinese as a new subject in a school?
    Any advice, no matter how vague, would be most welcome!
    Thanks

3. runaway

runaway New commenter

You might want to consider approaching private schools. There are some state schools that teach GCSE Chinese however and although you don't have a GCSE you would be expected to demonstrate excellent knowledge of the requirements and how you would impart this information -the methodology, with all due respect to Historians, is not the same.
    That said, do your homework, demonstrate (really demonstrate, you will have to prove your worth just to get your foot in the door) commitment, passion, enthusiasm and impeccable subject knowledge and most would give you a fair shot, simply because there aren't that many teachers of Chinese around. Good luck!