1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching full-time 'unendurably hard', says Lucy Kellaway

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Nov 27, 2018.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-teaching-full-time-unendurably-hard-says-lucy-kellaway

A touch of "we told you so" I think. I recall her almost complacency when she started up (was it only a year ago?), going on about the joy of second careers.
    I suspect that with her high media profile, she probably didn't have to endure the "robust" quality assurance that many teachers seem to have to face that compounds the difficulties of relentless work.
    The trouble is that school timetables become really difficult to construct with lots of part timers (which is probably why schools are in the "dark ages"), and more importantly, without an additional source of income, a 60% contract does not provide enough money for any sort of comfortable independent living. In addition, why should a qualified professional have to accept a part time salary just to remain on top of the job?

2. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

I feel she is suggesting working part time so you can mark and plan on your days off. It isn't said explicitly so I might be miles off the mark but I sense it and that isn't something to be encouraged.

However, it is good to see her admit how hard it is.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Established commenter

I am a tad confused by the article. I too infer from the article that you need two free days to catch up on the pointless carp.
    Is she saying that Now Teach will supply part time teachers?

I am glad that she is in a financial position to only work 3 days per week. Many are not so lucky.

The "unendurably hard" comment is damning. This from someone who has a vested interest in promoting teaching as a second career.

4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

If one works part time continuity can be a problem. In an ideal world one shares one's exam classes with a capable, well qualified colleague but this cannot be guaranteed and I would suggest may be impossible in many schools. Also if one works part the opportunity for face to face planning/communication with ones co teacher(s) may be limited. Going part time may generate as many problems as it solves.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Well, she set herself up as the champion of the mature professional switching to teaching as way of winding down their working lives and 'giving something back'. That in itself was pretty patronising to the teaching profession and demeaning of teachers generally.

Now having tasted the harsh reality teachers face day in, day out she now confesses:

'...her own decision to go part-time had made the difference between teaching being “unendurably hard work” and “completely manageable”.'

Despite the glossy spin she puts on her current situation, no doubt to try and save some face - the very same face has so much egg on it she could open an omelette factory, she's tucking into a very large portion of humble pie.

upload_2018-11-27_11-42-35.png

Ms Kellaway, you thought teaching was a doddle but now you've been shown just how wrong you were. You have severely embarrassed yourself, misled and betrayed those gullible enough to swallow your Now Teach pie in the sky and now you have to write an article that tries to paper over the fact that, when he chips were down, you just couldn't hack it. Now just shut up!

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I suppose her share of the £10 million will go part of the way to compensate for not getting a teaching slary 2 days per week.

7. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

My PC observation is one of Schadenfreude

My polite professional reply is one of Disdain

But my honest personal reply is one of Contempt.............. For her and for all her ilk

Including davidandhisDog, brylcreemKen and a cast of thousands of political opportunists and hangers-on

Not forgetting chrisWoodhead

How could I forget HIM ?

8. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

I’m full time and teaching 45 out of 50 lessons in a fortnight and I feel like quitting to be honest. I speak to so many part timers who use their days off for marking and planning. What has teaching become?

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

TES Tinder

+ upload_2018-11-27_13-57-54.png

A match made in heaven. Lucy Kellaway who set up Now Teach to attract mature entrants to teaching but couldn't hack it herself and Toby Young, appointed executive director of New school Network but resigned after a couple of years because he simply wasn't up to it and then was appointed to the Office for Students but resigned a week later for misogynistic and homophobic Twitter comments.

Things in common:
    An overblown sense of their own importance and ability. Patronise, demean and offend teachers.

Interests:
    Themselves!

Long term prospects:
    A match that's unlikely to last long because they both love themselves too much.

10. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Absolutely spot on, sir.:)

11. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

Imagine yourself as a psychiatrist.

Someone comes in and says that they have been offered a job where the workload is so heavy they can't actually do it. But their solution is - to work PART TIME so that they complete everything.

What drugs would you be prescribing?

damia69, rachel555, Sinnamon and 8 others like this.
  12. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

View attachment 26687
    Perfect visual metaphor. All we need now is a meme and we’re totally there everyone.

damia69, agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Doesn't need to be part time in that sense.
    It just needs to be a sensible workload. Cut my teaching load by anywhere between 20 and 50% and allow me that time for preparation, marking etc. And cut the ****. The energy sapping life draining stuff that does NOTHING for the kids.

Thing is, those at the top won't comtemplate a reduction in workload without calling it part time and paying it pro-rata.
    When they say part time, they still expect full time hours but for part time wages

damia69, JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  14. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Here is a quote from one of the other Now Teachers “After a few months at Ark Putney I found that things were not working. I was fooling myself into thinking that ‘if the children are badly behaved, it’s their fault’. I hadn’t really appreciated how important the tried-and-trusted processes I’d been learning in training were. Somewhere around November the penny dropped – ‘if they’re not engaged, that’s because I’m teaching badly’.
    Oh dear, brainwashed in a year.

15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Far less than a year.

damia69 and agathamorse like this.
  16. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

Another great advert for being a teacher

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  17. bonxie

bonxie Established commenter

Teaching full time is exhausting. Who'd have thought? It's not like any teacher anywhere has ever mentioned their workload issues, is it?

"Ms Kellaway worked as a Financial Times journalist for 30 years before founding Now Teach" So she had no teaching experience or teacher training but thought she was fully qualified to set up that organisation. Says a lot about her personality and level of self-belief/self-delusion.

"Ms Kellaway was speaking with Tes after the Department for Education announced that Now Teach was one of three organisations – along with Cognition Education and the Brilliant Club – to be awarded a total of £10.7 million to recruit up to 600 teachers over the next two years" She's really deserves this money as she's so good at selling teaching as a delightful job when she describes full-time teaching as“unendurably hard work” and "hell".

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

[​IMG]

19. CWadd

CWadd Senior commenter

"Teaching is stuck in the dark ages when it comes to part timers"

Oh, **** off you attention seeking *****. You want a part time job with little responsiblity? Go and work in Tesco, and sod off out of my TES.

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes I'm sure the bods at the DFE and the Treasury love Ms Kellaway's views of teaching after giving her organisation a goodly share of £10.7 million pounds.

I believe this is known as 'Doing a Ratner' and for those unfamiliar with the term:

Doing a Ratner - Gerald Ratner wiped £500 million from the value of his stores with one speech
    The most famous of them all, so much so that such gaffes are now known as “doing a Ratner”. Gerald Ratner wiped £500 million from the value of Ratners jewellers with one speech in 1991.He said: “We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, ‘How can you sell this for such a low price?’ I say, because it’s total ****.” He added that his stores’ earrings were “cheaper than an M&S prawn sandwich but probably wouldn’t last as long”.