1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching French in Canada

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SMT dude, Nov 2, 2011.

1. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

A former colleague had an extremely difficult time getting anything in the land of the Maple leaf when he followed his Canadian partner there. He had IB and A level experience, good results and references, and his subject was Mathematics.
    I may be completely wrong, and I'm certainly not being very helpful, but your aspiration has a Coals to Newcastle feel about it.
    Nearly 20% of Canadians speak, as native language, their own proud-to-be-different version of French. It's hard to imagine this community not producing a stock of First Language teachers for its own needs, and enough F2L practitioners to cover the Anglophone education system with the help of native English teachers of French who have been trained locally.
    It may be an unfair stereotype - I know dozens of Brits highly competent in other languages - but we are not exactly renowned as a nation for our MFL skills or for the way our system teaches them.

2. tica

tica New commenter

There are no jobs for Canadian teachers in Canada, sorry to say. So they certainly are not importing them.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Exactly the phrase that popped into my mind. Emigation in the opposite direction seems more logical as in the case of my old mate Tony who did his études franÇaises in Canada before returning to Blighty to impart an exotic accent to several generations of his students.
    En passant: Without wishing to be diocritical of Messrs Fujitsu, I'm mildly puzzled that my keyboard only offers the cedilla on a capital C.

4. Many thanks for your responses. Now I have a better idea of the situation.

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

A çilly embarraçing poçition to be in, for a ployglot internaçional educator.
    Drive four hours weçtwards, Cap'n, and you will find a poverty-çtriken country where a çedilla-empowered keyboard will be yourç for €20 and a friendly se faç fabor.

6. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

... sorry if we were too flippantly negative, fleeters.
    When I get back to the workplace on Monday after this Great Lakes of a half-term, I will ask my colleague who hails from from what she calls T'rrrunndo Untohreo if she has any more positive lumière to shed on your question.