1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching French in a special school at KS2

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by dinx67, Aug 21, 2012.

1. It's a long time since I did any French and I have an extremely basic grasp of some simple functional vocabulary - which is great because I'm probably only just a bit more able than the children in my class when it comes to French!
    As most of the children are working at P levels and have communication and autism spectrum disorders I use a lot of key word vocabulary (up to 3 words) and symbols. I'm hoping that someone can help me work out the best way to translate my classroom instructions into French, please! These are simple instructions related to the classroom routine that they are familiar with and understand (even if only from context):
    Sit
    Look
    Listen
    Go check
    Work first.... then choose
    Good sitting
    Good looking
    Good listening
    If anyone can help me with a fairly simple direct translation I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks!

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Sit - asseyez-vous
    Look - regardez
    Listen - écoutez
    Go check - vérifiez (or why not regardez again)
    Work first.... then choose - travaillez (en premier)... ensuite choisissez
    Good sitting - bien assis!
    Good looking - bien regardé
    Good listening - bien écouté

Obviously with lots of signing at the same time, I'd imagine. Other things I use fairly frequently are "levez la main" (put your hand up), "silence", "travaillez avec un partenaire" (work in pairs), "copiez la date/le titre" (copy the date/title), "levez-vous" (stand up). It's also important to introduce all these to your class, I'd probably do a simplified version of Simon says (but without the Simon says bit as it might confuse them, just perhaps introducing 3 or 4 instructions per lesson and doing a "how quickly can we do them all correctly" kind of game). If you do use signs it can be fun, as you could end up giving the instruction and they have to do the sign for it.

3. Many, many thanks for that! They really aren't up to the level of understanding (or working) some of the other helpful phrases you suggested. Maybe 'stand up'... Anyway thank you very much.
    Another question - what kind of rhymes/songs are suitable and age appropriate for children in KS2 work at P4-P7? Any suggestions gratefully received.