1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching French at age 5

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cleobud, Dec 7, 2018.

1. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

We have an external provider who runs a French club at lunchtimes for Reception to Year 2s. Some of the Reception children who attend struggle with phonics and reading in English so I am wondering if there are any benefits to them learning a second language. The parents pay for this once a week.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I have taught KS1 languages for 10 years. Unfortunately there isn't space in the week for me to see Reception. Young children love languages. In EYFS it's mostly speaking and listening, although we do occasionally so a bit of reading and writing. They enjoy it! And it's something for them to take home and share with their families. Don't underestimate young language learners. Even if they are struggling with other areas of the curriculum, starting a new language puts them on an equal footing with the rest of the class and gives them an opportunity to be successful. Some of my best speakers in the past have been those children who struggle with reading and writing elsewhere in the curriculum.

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.