1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching for understanding - what it is and what it isn't

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by thearns, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Greetings mathematicians,

How do we teach Maths for depth of understanding as opposed to merely racing students through a scheme of work?

For me - spending time introducing a topic's relevance and illustrating links with other areas of Maths along the way tends to be my own approach, as well as weaving aspects of said topic into as many contexts as possible. Some element of investigation helps.

Am I missing something? This is really an area of my teaching I'd like to improve so I'd appreciate some thoughts on how others approach this.

2. Andy.Pipkin

Andy.Pipkin New commenter

I am happy to give examples of the kind of thing that the Maths might be used for. However, for many topics in the curriculum, especially for lower ability kids, the relevance just isn't there.

I teach "how", then bring in the links, then perhaps the "why". But, as always, the professional teacher uses his/her knowledge and experience to adjust the teaching to the circumstances.

Spectacularly unhelpful response, there, Andy :)