1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Financial Capability Whole School

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by v0r74, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi all, I have recently been told that my school (secondary) would like financial capability taught and embedded across the whole school and apparently it is my job. My inital thoughts were to have a 'financial capablity week' every half term where each subject teaches 1 lesson during that week to their classes. However, I was wondering if any other schools teach financial capability regurarly and how they do it, where they get their resources from, etc?
    All help will be greatly received.
    Thanks

2. Hi all, I have recently been told that my school (secondary) would like financial capability taught and embedded across the whole school and apparently it is my job. My inital thoughts were to have a 'financial capablity week' every half term where each subject teaches 1 lesson during that week to their classes. However, I was wondering if any other schools teach financial capability regurarly and how they do it, where they get their resources from, etc?
    All help will be greatly received.
    Thanks

3. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

See if you can get a watered down copy of the school accounts, see if the kids could manage the money better than managment.
    Not sure of the educational benefits, but would be an eye opener in our place... perhaps if nothing else it would help the kids to realise why snapping coloured pencils in a woodwork vice, throwing glue sticks at the ceiling and vandalising, well, pretty much anything with a soldering iron costs the school money.

In all seriousness though, I'd start by looking into some role play stuff, look at the options available to them and which course of action they'd take, perhaps with chance cards to throw up problems or something... remember the "game of life" from the 80s? bit like that.

4. DM

DM New commenter

5. http://www.edexcel.com/quals/skills/money/Pages/default.aspx
    I have just completed this and it is a good course (level 1 or 2)
    The high street banks have excellent resources and if you google Tax Matters there is a hmrc resource which is also useful.
    I will upload the unit plans I have written to the resources area.

6. Brilliant thank you. Can I ask what classes you did this with and how you in embedded it across the school?
    Thanks

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've been teaching for over 20 years and never heard of this as a subject. can anyone explain please?

8. DM

DM New commenter

9. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Yet another bit of the slack parenting skills that schools are picking up in the absence of responsible adults.
    The song, "flagpole sitter" by Harvey Danger has an interesting line......
    "been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding"
    Never was this truer than in 21st century Britain.

10. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Once again, humble pie needs to be eaten...
    Aparrently, my mum was taught financial capability back in the 1800s (or whenever) but it was part of Home Ec and it was designed so that you could manage your family's finances. Apparently one of the text books said something like...
    "your husband's wages are..... per week you need x for food y for bills z for clothes e.t.c. work out how much money you have left for your husband to go to the pub with on a Friday night whilst also saving some money for a rainy day"
    So it seems its not a new subject... apologies to everyone who has taken on a TLR to teach this, its a very worthwhile thing and not a replacment for parenting as my previous post suggested. (well, not fully)
    Flagpole sitta is a good song tho...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgPFniISzgs&feature=related
    Its also the theme tune to "peep show"

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So it is part of citizenship then? No wonder I haven't heard of it[​IMG]

12. I've found that this provision has been well recieved by students and that parents have been massively supportive of it. This area was certainly not deemed necessary when I was at school - it was being phased out. It is unfair to put the onus back on parents as the phasing out of the basics in the 80's / 90's meant that many of us (myself included) entered adulthood having no idea what tax, NI, pensions, credit /debit and so on meant. As a parent I guide as much as possible but really welcome the back up of school, if nothing else in providing formalised teaching and a platform for constructive discussions at home. It would be sad if such an essential life skill were undermined by education professionals.
    I have taught the BTEC to Years 9 (level 1), and 10 and 11 as an option combined with other life skills, (level 2). Rolling it out to whole school would be relatively straightforward as far as timetabling allows but is not something that has been required in my school.
    It was not something I was keen on at first but is actually very valuable to students in the long term. I wish I had studied this at high school!

13. Hi Qwertyplayer,
    I have been given the task to teach and assess the financial capability course to 2 groups of year 11 students at my school who have already secured a C grade or above in their Modular Maths. I was wondering if you have written the assessment yourself, as this course is to be internally assessed. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel and make use of already existing material, if possible.
    Could you help?
    Or indeed, anybody out there who is reading this and has done it already?
    Thank you,
    Monica

PS. I have tried to find the unit plans you mentioned within the "Resources" area, but without success.