1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Fashion Photography, Help!

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by knzben, Feb 15, 2018.

1. knzben

knzben New commenter

Hello

I have to teach my fashion class a lesson on fashion photography. The idea is that they are all given time slots to work in to be able to photograph their ideas on their models. I've never done this before in a lesson and I'll be being observed on it so need to put together my lesson plan with extra details. Can anybody help with support and stretch strategies for this? And any tips on how to write up my lesson plan for this would be really helpful.

Thank you so much in advance!

2. stevesmiths0409

stevesmiths0409 New commenter

Hi knzben i have found some important things for teaching fashion photography lessons

1.Fashion photography should convey an essence of authority, so make sure your direction of the model(s) needs to be confident and self-assured. Make the subject feel comfortable and involved, and exclude things like Showing signs of anxiety, stress or lack of direction will invariably be reflected in the performance of your model
    2.Fashion photography is everything about clothes and beauty, hence pull all the elements of the scene and the model together to reflect this. For example if the shoot focuses on the clothes use make-up and hair styling to compliment the garment.
    3.Posing is always a tricky point to master, get the latest men’s and women’s magazines to find inspired suggestions as well as getting a grip on what is currently fashionable.
    4.A studio is an ideal place to perform a fashion shoot because photographers can easily control lighting and stabilise conditions.
    5.When shooting in low light or into the sun, make sure you have an extra light source.
    6.Identifying the right location is important if you want to convey a narrative within your shot. Let us suppose if the clothing and beauty styling are edgy, hard or provocative you may want to consider an urban setting, alternatively for spring/summer and natural fashions find a rural environment like, a field,woodland or river bank.
    7.Fashion photography can be achievable alone, but to achieve it a family member or photography student as an assistant is required. However photographers need an extra help of hands to position the reflectors, angle and reset lighting equipment.

Thanks

knzben likes this.