1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching excluded 14-16 year olds GCSE English in college on my own/feeling pressure from manger with no subject knowledge

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by newby28, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi,

Has anyone experienced feeling over whelmed, alone in the department that you teach in, with the manager not knowing about the subject you teach, and a feeling that support staff 'control' the department (as one has a close family member who is up there in the hierarchy of the system)?

On top of this, the students are excluded 14 -16 year old teenagers who join my class (without any warning from the lead learning mentor who organises new student arrivals) throughout the year, and I am expected to get each and everyone of these students through their controlled assessments (with many starting with me in year 11) on my own.

The department I work for consists of a manager (who is new to the department and does not have a background in this area), so she does depend on the advice of the lead learning mentor, who has encouraged the 'letting go' of four maths tutors throughout the year because she feels that they are 'not very good'. There is also another support staff member and two student liaisons. They spend a lot of time discussing how 'poor' all the tutors are with the students (many vocational tutors has refused to teach the students and three have resigned in a year due to threatening and physical threats).

As a consequence of above, I am feeling so trapped in the environment, worried that I may be the talk of getting a replacement and my motivation for teaching these teenagers, who several members of staff have refused to teach, is diminishing rapidly. I have taught them for a year now and have been threatening, sworn at, undermined by support staff and now, have been given an action plan for work after my manager called an 'informal' meeting with HR for me not producing a classroom with posters, not having the controlled assessments set out where they can be seen (I'm the only English teacher there) and for not making an appointment to view the new SOW template. I feel that she is taking the completely unaware that she has never praised me (I know as teachers, that's a rare concept anyway for many).

all I want to do is escape somewhere!! Advice anyone, please!!

Thanks in advance

2. Hi,

Has anyone experienced feeling over whelmed, alone in the department that you teach in, with the manager not knowing about the subject you teach, and a feeling that support staff 'control' the department (as one has a close family member who is up there in the hierarchy of the system)?

On top of this, the students are excluded 14 -16 year old teenagers who join my class (without any warning from the lead learning mentor who organises new student arrivals) throughout the year, and I am expected to get each and everyone of these students through their controlled assessments (with many starting with me in year 11) on my own.

The department I work for consists of a manager (who is new to the department and does not have a background in this area), so she does depend on the advice of the lead learning mentor, who has encouraged the 'letting go' of four maths tutors throughout the year because she feels that they are 'not very good'. There is also another support staff member and two student liaisons. They spend a lot of time discussing how 'poor' all the tutors are with the students (many vocational tutors has refused to teach the students and three have resigned in a year due to threatening and physical threats).

As a consequence of above, I am feeling so trapped in the environment, worried that I may be the talk of getting a replacement and my motivation for teaching these teenagers, who several members of staff have refused to teach, is diminishing rapidly. I have taught them for a year now and have been threatening, sworn at, undermined by support staff and now, have been given an action plan for work after my manager called an 'informal' meeting with HR for me not producing a classroom with posters, not having the controlled assessments set out where they can be seen (I'm the only English teacher there) and for not making an appointment to view the new SOW template. I feel that she is taking the completely unaware that she has never praised me (I know as teachers, that's a rare concept anyway for many).

all I want to do is escape somewhere!! Advice anyone, please!!

Thanks in advance

3. Unnaccepable
    Unacceptable
    Unacceptable
    Request a formal meeting with the Director of HR and insist they remedy the above.

4. Write it down so you have a record, stuff that has happened in the past and that happens in the future. That way you have some record and hopefully those in the charge will see that it isn't just you being awkward and that there is some substance to you being what appears to be bullying. Surely if so many staff have left since this one has arrived they in HR may realise there may be an issue which in turn may lend some support to you? Keep records of emails and communications with this person (even if you have to email them to confirm what they have said!). I know it sounds like you have to become something you don't want to become but from my experience, both current positions and previous ones, makes yousure that you cover yourself.
    Good luck and hope it works out for you.[​IMG]

5. Thanks Georgia,

You're absolutely right - I have had no training. My PGCE is in FE/HE, and I I never wanted to teach this age group.

I am searching for another job - even if it's outside of education - I'm that desperate. Today, the exercise books and work have gone missing from my cupboard, so something usual is going on.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

6. Thanks Ruby.

I am now keeping records of everything! I know that I need to bind my time until I get out.
    The true problem is that the lead learning mentor seems to have more power than the manager, and the manager is sold by everything she says. So, if she dislikes someone, it seems like they are on their way out - like the 4 maths tutors.
    Thanks you for replying - I appreciate the advice and will definitely use it.

7. Hi Shirtandtie,

Contacting HR is my next step - thank you so much[​IMG]