1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Essay Writing

Discussion in 'English' started by BabyHippo, Jan 23, 2016.

1. BabyHippo

BabyHippo New commenter

Hello!
    Does anyone here have any good strategies or advice for teaching essay writing skills in a fun and engaging manner? Any ideas would be very much appreciated!
    Many thanks,

2. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

It's not fun and engaging, I'm afraid, but show them models, analyse successful essays, break them down into relevant parts and then just get them to do it - over and over and over again. Analyse an essay like you would a story - in the beginning there were, then this happened, which led to this and finally... Encourage them to use discourse markers and constantly link their ideas.

It's the only way I've found to make it better - sorry that's a bit blunt and disheartening - but I'm readily coming to the conclusion that it works!

BabyHippo likes this.
  3. hi_lea

hi_lea New commenter

Hi Baby Hippo,
    Judging by your nickname, you're creative enough to engage students into learning process ;)

Nevertheless, I'd like to suggest you some strategies I personally use in the classroom.
    • Game is an effective technique
    Example: create a quiz: Main Parts of an Essay. Divide students into groups and give them the list of essay writing steps in random order. This competition will motivate them to solve your task faster and memorize how to write it correctly. After that you should have a short discussion.
    • Explain why do they need to improve essay writing skills.
    Some teachers wonder why don't their students understand basics. The answer is simple: lack of communication. Talk to them and prove that ability to analyze, make a research and express your own thoughts in writing is an important skill every successful person should have.
    • Start using high quality online tools
    EdTech tools can help you to engage students into studying process and boost their time management skills. Some of them are also great for student-teacher communication. For instance, I'm using
    [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    to create bright presentations instead of boring explanation and
    [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    plagiarism checker to receive essays and give feedback online.

I've shared my experience but you should listen your inner voice to find the best way of teaching :)

debaii and BabyHippo like this.