1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching English yr11 exam practice papers

Discussion in 'English' started by DollyP5, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I am a supply teacher covering GCSE English to a year 11 class and the HOD has given me
    exam practice papers for all my lessons mainly the Reading/Writing paper. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can best deliver these lessons as she tends to give me the work on the day which allows me no preparation time and I feel like I cant do my best as a result.
    Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated :)

2. I am a supply teacher covering GCSE English to a year 11 class and the HOD has given me
    exam practice papers for all my lessons mainly the Reading/Writing paper. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can best deliver these lessons as she tends to give me the work on the day which allows me no preparation time and I feel like I cant do my best as a result.
    Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated :)

3. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

You need an exam paper before the lesson as you need to know the text. Firstly, for reading focus on how you set about starting reading the text and then I would do one question per lesson. Break down the question so you model the answer and then they have a go themselves. Make sure you mark each question so that they can see their progress as this is important the nearer it gets to the exam. It is very prescriptive teaching I think at this stage as their are definite skills needed for exams and time management is a major one. You could always look on the exam board's website to see if you can pull of an exam paper so at least you are prepared. Good luck.

4. thank you for this advice that's a real help .