1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching English to EAL.

Discussion in 'English' started by LittleWaffles, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I teach a small group of year 9 students who are EAL. I am teaching them a writing scheme after half term based around writing horror. They struggle to form accurate sentences and often miss out conjunctions.

Does anyone have a sceheme I could use for inspiration or point me in the right direction please?

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

PM me with your email and I'll try to help. It would be useful if you could give me an overview of any ideas / texts you're thinking of using with them.

3. Could I join in please?

I have currently taken up a
    maternity cover in an inner city secondary school- graded by OFSTED as good. My
    job role is a teacher of EAL, in chage of 2 groups of KS3 students: beginners
    (from step 1 to level 1) and intermediate (level 1- 2). We run 12 hours of EAL
    support based on withdrawal groups; the pupils are lovely and keen to learn. The
    classes are numerous (between 11-16 pupils) and some of them have been stuck
    there for 2.5 years- clearly something is not working! Much to my horror I
    dicovered that the department has almost no resouces in place- as a result I
    spend hours each night trying to put lessons together. There is no long-term
    plan nor SOW and I feel I am drifting without any specific aim in my planning.

I am trying to find to a
    concise plan/ SOW that would accomodate various needs and ablilities as well as
    provide development of language skills and progress from beginners to movers
    group (some students pick up quickly and have to be moved up after a term or
    two). Since EAL is not a regular subject, I have been having a nightmare
    collating stuff from various websites: bits and pieces here and there that
    don't necessary make an intact SOW!

I am hoping I am not the
    only person in London
    facing this problem- please email me a.prokopowicz@hotmail.com; I am happy to share and collaborate!!!