1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching English Skills

Discussion in 'Primary' started by irasor, Aug 1, 2011.

1. I will be beginning my NQT year in Year 6 in September. The school is adopting a topic based approach for the first time, with Literacy being taught mostly through the theme/topic. English skills will however be taught discreetly 4 days a week, in 5 -20 minute lessons.

I was hoping to build a bank of resources for these lessons, with a range of ideas for 5, 10, 15 & 20 minute lessons that I can dip into without (too much) prior planning.

Ideally, I would like the lessons to be short and snappy and quite fun for the pupils, almost like games.

If anyone could point me in the direction of any useful resources, websites, books, tried and tested ?old favourites? etc. I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance! :)

2. Ooops sorry, paragraphs seem to have disappeared! [​IMG]

3. Try Pie Corbett - esp. Jumpstart. He also has a website with good ideas.
    My class LOVE his vocab/grammar games.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.ks2phonics.org.uk/SwSGames.htm

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yeah the jumpstart storymaking and literacy will both be your perfect friends!

Also on the resources section here, there is a VCOP powerpoint with about a zillion slides on it. My year 6s, by the end of the year, had their favourite slides and I could just fire up the first page and they would all sit like lambs hoping to be picked to choose a slide number. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll have a hunt and post a link.

6. Minnieminx, I have had a look through the resources and don't think I've found the one you've mentioned, could you send me the link please? Thank you.

7. eddiecarron, thank you but I am not interested.

Everyone else, thank you for your suggestions, have just ordered two Pie Corbett books of Amazon! Also quite surprised by the quality of resources on TES, some are ideal! Thanks again!