1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching English (Part of an interview)

Discussion in 'English' started by irumparveen92, Jul 7, 2016.

1. irumparveen92

irumparveen92 New commenter

Hi all,

I received an invite to an interview for a graduate teaching job I applied for, although I am thrilled I am a little concerned for a two reasons:

1. The school, per se this isn't a standard school, it's a learning environment for 14-16 year olds who have been taken out from schools due to behaviour and personal problems.

2. I have to teach a single period on any area within English,

An excerpt from the email -

We expect all of our applicants to complete a lesson plan and prepare for a lesson. The lesson will last exactly one hour and you may want to plan extension activities to ensure this time is filled. If you haven't had much teaching experience in the past we do take this into account and it will be a learning point and a training point when you start your employment with us. The main expectations we have during this lesson are;
    - the ability to plan for all to succeed (differentiation)
    - A good demonstration of engagement methods and behavioural control
    - A strong subject knowledge
    You may teach any topic within your subject area and we leave the choice up to you

I have thought about teaching poetry to the students, in particular performance poetry and how it is similar/dissimilar to rap music. Then have them attempt there own poetry and perform it front of the class (those who are willing). I want to keep the lesson as engaging as possible so I will show a few minutes of Kate Tempest's performance and a freestyle rap (without any crudeness).

So I guess all I want to ask is:

1 - Is it ok to teach something like this given that their is no criteria?
    2 - How should I manage behaviour, given these students will not know me and may be apprehensive?
    3 - With regards to differentiation what are perhaps some tasks that I can put forward to target all the students?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Hi,

1 - Yes, if they've said you can teach 'anything' then rap/poetry is fine.
    2 - There probably won't be many students in the class, as this is a PRU-type provision - email back and ask how many students, and for a copy of the seating plan (knowing their names is essential for behaviour management); look on the school's website to find their behaviour policy, or email back and ask for a copy of it, then make sure you follow it during the lesson (e.g. they talk so you give them a warning, they talk again so you give them a negative behaviour point etc.). I imagine the focus will be more on praising and rewarding the students for any effort or work they produce (well done, etc.).
    3 - Email back and ask if any of the students have special needs (such as dyslexia) or speak English as an additional language, and what their ability is (for example, children who have missed a lot of schooling may struggle to write) - then you can adapt the support you provide, such as giving them an example of what you want them to produce, giving them some key words they could include, or even a fill-in-the-blanks type activity for really low ability/language students.

If you are sure about working in this type of environment then do check how you will be supported - ensure you won't be in the room alone with a class if you do end up working there. No offence, but this job does sound like it's taking the p***, as you are not a qualified teacher and this will be a challenging environment to work in, yet they clearly expect you to be capable of teaching without any training. Check your use of their/there - you need to model correct English.

Good luck!

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

You could do a homophone lesson.

5. irumparveen92

irumparveen92 New commenter

Thank you, I've sent an email addressing all the pointers you provided.