1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching English in Uganda in a secondary school-any help or advice desperately needed!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by amylong, Jun 29, 2015.

1. amylong

amylong New commenter

Hi all

In 3 weeks I will be embarking upon a visit to Uganda to work at a school teaching English to secondary aged pupils. I have no information about what would be useful or what could be taught (I have asked!) Could anyone who has worked in Uganda give me any advice as to what would be useful to teach them? From my research I have gathered that they are taught O levels but cannot find any example exam papers.

Any advice would be useful!

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi Amy,

i am in Uganda at the moment. Which year groups will you be teaching? Is that a local school? a fee paying local school or an international school? I take it it is not in an international school because these are now close for holidays. Even thought English is supposed to be the medium of education, this is not always the case, specifically in the villages. Where will you be based? The students' command of the English language will probably determine what you will be teaching. I am not sure I can answer your questions more specifically as I am in teaching in primary school, but feel free to ask me anything about Uganda. Good luck

3. amylong

amylong New commenter

Thanks for your reply! I'm teaching at a secondary school which houses female pupils, the majority of which are orphaned. I'm in Busembatia. No idea what to teach! Have you any links at all to any exams they need to prepare for? Any stuff is good. Trying the internet to little avail!

4. amylong

amylong New commenter

Could I ask how many hours generally would we teach per day and what time generally schools teach until? thanks!

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

That probably depends a lot on the school. Can you ask them?