1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching English in different subjects

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by oharashaun, Sep 12, 2017.

1. oharashaun

oharashaun New commenter

I work in Spain. I am English, but work in the public sector.In order to improve the level of English in the public sector, Spanish English teachers are being oblidged to start teaching in other areas; science, art, p.e.(natuurales, plactica, educacion fisica.)
    Only teachers who have B1 or b2 can teach in another area outside of their speciality. The political idea is to have between 30 and 50% of the curriculum taught in English. Teachers involved in this pilot scheme need c1.
    I can only see problems. ;
    While asking for a high level of competence in English, the same level of competence is not asked for the teachers knowledge of science. The science on offer, from what I have seen in the published material, has been dumbed down.
    The students do not have the communicative competence to understand the core content of science etc in a second language.
    Spain in the last PISA table I looked at was 26 out of 33. This new development will not improve the science score, it MIGHT improve the English score. https://www.oecd.org/pisa/keyfindings/PISA-2012-results-spain.pdf
    I would be interested to hear other peoples' opinions about trying to teach English in other subjects, in non-bilingual schools

2. You can find a tutor (a native speaker as well) or teach languages yourself with Preply.com easily.