1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching English in a South African primary school!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by debbiehep, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Fiona, please do email me and I'll send you a link for some systematic phonics resources.
    If you had some of these - plus some carefully chosen story books - plus you have a plan how to develop their spoken language in English with every day language/conversations - you will show that you are aware there are many aspects to teaching English:
    1) The spoken language
    2) The alphabetic code and core skills of blending for reading, segmenting for spelling and handwriting
    3) The richness of language through literature, story-telling etc.
    You will also find many free materials via www.phonicsinternational.com which you may find helpful for your own purposes if you cannot get access to these things wherever you end up being placed.
    Good luck with your adventure - but please do email me at debbie@phonicsinternational.com if you think I can be of some help.

2. Hi Debbie,
    Thanks so much for your help, I have emailed you at the address you provided.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

i know it sounds very basic & boring, but you mustn't assume the children will have any wherewithal to write or read, so pens, paper, scissors? (if that's allowed?) & a story book (preferably with repetitive phrases for the children to join in) are essentials. I know when our volunteers go they take crayons, glitter, painting materials, song tapes etc. as these are also likely to be a hit & novel to those children.
    Also something to 'show' them about England or yourself to talk about & some songs/ nursery rhymes for you to sing together are good ways to get the children into English.