1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching English abroad - South Korea

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by avcp91, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Hello everyone,

I decided to post this question here and see if I can receive see opinions/guidance.

I'm really interested in teaching English abroad, specifically South Korea, the problem is that English in not my first language, technically it should be since I am US citizen, but I grew up in another country. I moved to the US when I started my college degree, that's why I consider English my 2nd language.

I have the basic requirements; citizenship and BS, but still I'm not completely confident about applying, I don't know if I may have an accent that will be a problem, or obviously I'm not fluent enough for the job. I'm planning to do a TEFL certification during the summer and maybe enroll to some intensive English courses to improve it.

Do you recommend me to continue with this plan? Have you ever met anyone with a similar case as mine?

Thank you for reading.