1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Electricity using 'hot wires'

Discussion in 'Science' started by radioactiveduck, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Hello all,

I am a PPA teacher and for the year 5/6 phase I need to teach electricity. Turns out the school does not have the traditional bulbs, switches, wires etc to build circuits but have 'Hot wire' sets instead. I have no idea how to use them.

Has anyone taught using these before? If so, how did you go about it?

My LO's are:

How can we change the amount of energy flowing around a circuit?

What are electrical conductors & insulators?

What happens to the energy as it flows around a circuit?

Thank you in advance

2. steve_cooke

steve_cooke New commenter

I bought a "hot wires" set for my secondary Phys Dept as a bit of fun, which it is, and the one we bought actually allows some quite difficult concepts, like logic gates, to be modeled. However, we decided it was a bit too primary for the serious science image we wanted to portray and so never worked it into the SoW. From memory the instruction booklets are set up as "experiments" so if you have the booklets there should be a pretty clear set of instructions that will take you or the kids through an experiment or two which'll match your LOs.

Although I might take serious issue with the "change the amount of energy flowing around the circuit" LO.